260 hours dockweiler or bust the great choke of 2017. vvti?

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by grindhouse, Sep 13, 2017.

1. grindhouse

grindhouse Member

hello. a swap to get out of my system, so here is my offering. 87 toyota pickup xtra cab short bed. pulled the stock 22re out and 260 hours later. running vvti 1uz 5 speed mt. only have a few pics of the process, since i was in a giant hurry to finish it before vacation ended. also working as a one man team for the most part meant no time to waste.

main point of this thread is to TRY and answer questions regarding the swap. and to post my experience from the last couple weeks. will also list parts and part numbers of what i used to get it driving.

started on 8/14/17 and finished on 9/10/17

*as it sits.
    -1uz vvti swap
    -w58 mkiv supra/sc300 transmission
    -check engine light functioning, NO error codes

*to do before october 2 2017
    -temp suspension setup. rear blocks just came in, front and rear shocks on the way. drop spindles from my ooooolllld truck are already here.
    -finish exhaust
    -redo intake pipe
    -waiting on my extra stock steelies to be finished. got them resized from 14x6 to 15x10 0 offset.

*future plans for next years vacation
    -cressida front steering and suspension
    -x7 cressida rear irs OR 4 link watts stock rear end. honestly depends on how i feel the exact moment right before it all happens
    -coilovers all around
    -endless supply of old school 4 lug wheels
    -stand alone

*thoughts on swap as is
    a little disappointed

only pics i have at the moment
    [​IMG]

modded crossmember
    [​IMG]

redid harness
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

startup vid
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BYZrDgHDUBh/?taken-by=hg.7071

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  2. grindhouse

grindhouse Member

*chassis notes/issues

-trans tunnel should get massaged in for bellhousing clearance, otherwise removing the transmission ALONE from under the truck will be impossible. i totally dropped the ball on that one.

-chopped and dropped the crossmember
    -hammered in pass side fire wall around where the hvac stuff would be
    -massaged in ebrake pulley mounting surface about 3/4 of an inch. redrilled ebrake handle bracket under dash rebar. ebrake fully functional.
    -remove the 1" brake booster spacer, i cut 1" from BB mounting studs, pushrod was also cut 1" and also cut about 1" more of threads into it.
    -file/ream clutch mc bore hole on firewall for land cruiser CMC

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  3. grindhouse

grindhouse Member

*engine notes
    -used rear sump setup from a non vvti sc400. some of the holes on both oil pan halves need to get bored out for some of the bolts reused from the front sump.
    -non vvti sc400 exhaust manifolds work on vvti heads no prob
    -if making your own engine stands on frame, sc400 engine brackets would be idea because they face straight down when mounted on the engine.
    -oil filter hits the frame because of the arm its mounted on. find a shorter filter OR relocate it.
    -oil drain plug will be in the most awkwardest spot. i moved mine to the back of the pan.

*transmission notes for sc300/mkiv supra W58
    -w55 internal shifter parts work
    -w55 speedo assembly works in the w58 tail housing
    -parts to swap for factory shifter location
    shifter
    shifter mount/base
    shift rod arm for shifter
    shift rod/gear selector rod - the end that rides in the gear forks MUST be grinded down to resemble the w58 rod. will post pic of what i mean.

*flywheel and concentric slave notes from the toyotav8 w5x kit
    -DO NOT REUSE OEM FLEXPLATE SPACER
    -pilot bearing should be flush or SLIGHTLY past the edge of the bearing hole in the crank
    -use red thread lock on the arp bolts the kit comes with. it's to prevent the bolts backing out and to seal the threads from oil escaping.
    -concentric slave lines should exit the driver side of the bell housing.
    -on the slave, the threaded side is the bleed port. slip fitting is from the master. don't confuse the two. once lines are installed, mark them before final assembly.
    -use teflon tape AND the crush washer for the bleed port adapter.

*concentric slave bleeding
    KEEP AN EYE ON FLUID LEVEL THE WHOLE TIME.
    -bleeding is a little tricky. fill MC with brake fluid with bleeder open and going into a CLEAN BOTTLE. once it starts coming out of the bleeder, close it.
    -SLOWLY pump the clutch pedal by hand 3-5 times
    -clutch pedal up, open bleeder and have your help slowly push in and hold pedal down. close the line with pedal down. repeat several times.
    -once you have pedal pressure, bleeder closed. your help pumps and holds clutch. open bleeder. repeat several times until pedal is firm.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    yotarip likes this.
  4. grindhouse

grindhouse Member

Quick rundown on parts.

*Running gear
    -VVTI 1UZ from Uzs171 crown
    -VVTI 1UZ celsior ecu from yury in russia. i pinned harness to this ecu using 99 ls400 wiring diagrams.
    -auto trans emulator also from yury
    -sc400 COMPLETE rear sump setup
    -sc400 engine mount brackets
    -2 hockey pucks as isolators
    -3uz maf
    -oil filter relocated with block adapter from xcessive manufacturing
    -mkiv supra/sc300 w58 with parts from original w55 transmission for oem shifter position
    -toyotav8 w58 adapter kit
    -oem drive shaft
    -aisin 80s land cruiser clutch master. Correct 3/4 bore to use with gm slave. Also correct bolt pattern. Just have to remove the mounting stud from it.

*Power steering
    -stock pickup power steering "cooler" loop lol
    -v6 pickup return hardline
    -and a tip from yotarips thread 3vz power steering pressure line

*Cooling
    -S13 sr20 3 core aluminum radiator
    -oem ls400 upper rad hose sectioned for my electric fan temp sender
    -lower rad hose made from 2x90 degree silicone couplers and 45 degree bend hard pipe. Couplers 1.5" ID, hard pipe 1.5" OD.
    -T bolt clamps

*Fuel
    -aeromotive fuel pump
    -aeromotive FPR
    - -6 AN Lines for feed
    - -4 AN for return
    -setup as "return less"
    -NOTE for AN stuff
    its best to use the same manufacturer for the hose and fittings when ever possible. To guarantee the best possible seal and eliminate chances of leaks.

*Fluids
    -Engine
    Plain ole 5w30 6ish qts because of the oil filter relocation
    -Trans
    2qts 75w90 synthetic walmart brand from walmart. With half a quart of syncromesh. Total of 2.5 qts.
    -Cooling
    toyota red coolant
    Distilled water
    Water wetter
    Used half a gallon of the concentrated toyota red and the rest distilled water and water wetter.

*Optional
    -etx20l bike battery from oriellys, mounted behind driver seat and under shelf. Works great for areas that don't experience freezing temps.
    -2/0 welding cable for battery
    -bmw positive battery junction block

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  5. grindhouse

grindhouse Member

WIRING

For those who want to redo their harness to run the bare minimum.

don't forget to upgrade your alternator fusible link to 120 amp to match the uz alternator.
    Also don't forget to change your alternator connector from the round style to the oval style, IF YOU NEED TO.

*sensors/solenoids/ignition/fuel
    -injectors
    -coilpacks *THESE DIFFER FROM YEAR AND MODEL. Pin accordingly to your ecu.
    -crank position sensor
    -cam position sensor
    -both vvti solenoids
    -both vvti cam angle sensors
    -engine coolant temp sensor
    -both upper pre cat o2 sensors
    -both knock sensors
    -acis solenoid
    -tps
    -aps
    -throttle body motor
    -maf
    -starter trigger wire
    -obd2 connector

*SWITCHED 12v
    -ecu b+ b1+
    -both o2s
    -acis solenoid
    -maf
    -igsw

*CONSTANT 12v
    -ects
    -ecu memory wire

*5v/vc FROM ECU
    -tps
    -aps

*sensor ground FROM ECU
    -maf
    -throttle body motor
    -aps
    -tps

*common ground to chassis
    -ecu e1 e02 e01 e03 me01 e0m
    -both o2 sensors
    -coil packs

*shielded wire grounds to chassis
    -both knock sensors
    -crank position sensor
    -cam position sensor
    -both vvti cam angle sensors
    -both o2 sensor signal wires

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  6. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    NICE! more pics when your offically done, I myself have to modify my cross member as well or just put in a different oil pan. Great work thou!

7. grindhouse

grindhouse Member

Update.

Last few weeks after we finished my swap have been hell trying to button up and finalize everything non swap related for TWO TRUCKS. Did truck stuff up until the night we were to leave to the socal Dockweiler meet. Then my one exhaust hanger breaks 20 minutes into the drive lol. Pulled over on the side of the freeway, unbolted the rest of it and drove open y pipe to socal and back. Other than that, it was a drama free 700+ mile round trip. Good times were had this weekend for sure!

And finally pics of before and after everything was done. Stress has been alleviated, now can go back to having a normal sleep schedule.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ANNND FINALLY, a HUUGE thanks to my lady and brother from another mother. Without them helping when and where they could this just wouldnt be, period.

Annnd EASILY my favorite part of the build. All the thoughts, jokes, hurdles and memories from the past few weeks just blasted on my radiator and radiator support. Stuff to remember for a lifetime.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    yotarip, DMC and jetas like this.
  8. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Nice build man. This motivates me. Two questions, what AFM are you using? That's not a 1uz AFM. Looks like a 2uz or 3uz. You said you were disappointed. Why?

9. grindhouse

grindhouse Member

Thanks man. Motivation and respect goes both ways. Skimming through your build thread got me believing there is still hope for TIDY swaps. So fist bump to you.

As for the maf, you're correct about it being from a 3uz. Only reason behind it is because i was ORIGINALLY going to do a 3uz and had ordered a bunch of stuff ahead of vacation. Then being my usual self, i flipped flopped on whether it was worth the extra cash for .3 liters. Either way it ended up working out lol. Just had to repin the plug for the 1uz ecu.

And about being initially disappointed, it was me just being a brat. At first i felt that it should've been faster, but then realized i was being unfair comparing it to my ollllld 1j swapped cressida and the other jz swaps I've done/helped with. A true Apples to oranges comparison.

Now that i appreciate it for what it is, it puts a smile on my face everytime i drive it.

10. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Are you running a manual transmission and if so, did you install a transmission emulator?

11. grindhouse

grindhouse Member

Yes and yes! The truck hits hard now that i reset the ecu after it learned while having vacuum leaks left and right lmao.

12. grindhouse

grindhouse Member

Update.

Empty posts updated with info and unfortunately my steelies were never done in time for the meet we went to. As a matter of fact I'm still waiting on them...

I think i covered most of everything that went down with the swap. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

13. grindhouse

grindhouse Member

finally got my resized oem steelies. pretty happy with the result. final specs 15x10 0 offset.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Those wheels look pretty damn good!

15. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

They look great! I really want to send off a pair of my 16x8 starions off to be widened to 10" wide but I keep finding aftermarket wheels to spend the money on.

jetas likes this.
  16. grindhouse

grindhouse Member

thanks dudes!! and for anyone asking about my current wheels. they are vision 561 15x10 0 offset. can get them from summit or ebay cheap.

tires are hankook 225 45 15s

17. grindhouse

grindhouse Member

little update. finally got the oem widened steelies on! more than happy on how they turned out!!
    [​IMG]

18. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    They look pretty good!!

19. grindhouse

grindhouse Member

20. grindhouse

grindhouse Member

found a paint and fade matching set of 4x4 fenders finally. suspension work to start mid july. hoping to get EVERYTHING done/redone by september. until then....

[​IMG]

KS.ID, jetas and Orlando Muniz like this.