1993 BARE ROOF RACK BARS AND CLAMPS?

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by WolfmanTalon, Mar 23, 2018.

1. WolfmanTalon

WolfmanTalon Newbie

Working on maximizing the storage for bush adventures on my 1993 standard cab pickup, DLX submodel and am looking for advice on roof racks that work with that small of a bare roof. Yakima says they have one but not wanting to spend 300+ $ on something that'll have a small rack to keep my chainsaw or other materials up there. I will if I run out of resources or nobody has any ideas.

Anyone had success with any other brands or roof racks that don't list this as a model it works for but does?

Thanks for all the help! Always appreciated!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  2. Hands_On_Henry

Hands_On_Henry Member

Truck:
    1985 22R/4spd
    Welcome!
    My last truck was a 4x4 with the same body style, and I too was looking for a way to haul a small amount of cargo on the roof. I never did end up getting it done, too many low tree branches around here, but I will share what I thought might work.
    There are tons of manufacturers out there that will sell you a universal cargo basket. (Or maybe you can fab your own?) With a little ingenuity you can bolt or weld them about anywhere. It comes down to the mounts really, and your style of roof (with no drip rails) makes it a little trickier. What I did was start by finding mounts for a big ugly light bar that were made for the proper make and model of truck. Once you find a pic of the mounts you can see how they have to be shaped to fit down into the gap of the door then they fasten with screws under the seal. My plan was to use 14-18ga sheetmetal and mimic the light bar mounts shape to get "into" the door, but keep them more vertical on the way up. Once you have 4 mounts in a solid location you should be able to measure, so you can buy or build a basket that fits within your space.

3. WolfmanTalon

WolfmanTalon Newbie

Thanks for the reply! I am definitely tinkering around with the idea of fabing something. I know there has to be a cheaper clamp on that can be "fitted" haha to work. Just haven't figured it out yet. I have that on the back burner while I think about it. But if I come up with something I will for sure post it here!

4. BryanLikesItOutside

BryanLikesItOutside Newbie

Truck:
    94 Std Bed 5-Spd 2WD
    I know I'm super late to the party, but I got yakima round bars on my 94 single cab. They have the q-towers and clips for it even though they claim it won't work. It does, but I only have like 17" from bar to bar. So still haven't found the right basket to attach to them.

Erwin Merida likes this.