20r keeps blowing oil filter gasket!

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Hayden, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Hayden

Hayden Newbie

My 20r keeps blowing oil filter gasket out this first happen one night when I went out side to let my truck warm up. Started it up went back inside and heard a loud hammering sound. Ran out side and all my oil was on the ground and it locked up. Pulled it apart had to spun two rod bearings. Put a new crank and rods in it pistons were fine been driving it for about three weeks now then I went out side this morning to let it warm up, and now that I’m gun shy I keep and eye on it well I went out there after a minute or two just to Check it had done it again! Oil all over the ground oil filter gasket blown out. I caught it before it hurt anything. I don’t know what’s going on and I can’t tint any threads on it has anyone ever had this problem or heard of this?

2. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Unless you're using the wrong filter, the only time I've seen oil blow by the filter gasket is when an old gasket gets stuck to the block(previous filter change). Double gasket will cause a major leak. Other than that, it a real head scratcher.

3. Hayden

Hayden Newbie

I know. I’m using the filter it calls for. The first filter that done it was a wix and this time I put on a micro guard and it still done it. It’s only doing it when it’s around 0 degrees out. Both times it’s done it it has been 0 or below.

4. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Quick Google search points to a double gasket or a pressure relief valve (probably in the oil pump).

5. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab