Blower motor keeps blowing fuses.

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by Hayden, Dec 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hayden

Hayden Newbie

It started out My blower motor would run for about 10-15 minuets then it would blow a fuse. Now it’s every time i turn it on it pops it. I pulled the dash apart last night and seen if i could see any bare wires or anything, didn’t find anything really but i did notice that the wires going to the heater were almost to hot to touch, along with the blower motor. I’m thinking the motor is bad. I’m not sure though. And before I order a new one i would like to know if anyone else has had this problem or give me a better idea of what’s going on.

2. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    No personal experience with the issue, but it "sounds" like the blower motor is the culprit.

I would pull it out and check for obstructions in the fan and overall condition. I would bet the motor is hard to turn, or becomes so after warmed up.

Maybe the bearings in it are done?

3. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    If nothing is obviously wrong with it, you can stick it in a vise and put 12v to it and see what happens.

Hayden likes this.
  4. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    90 standard cab 2wd short bed
    check the blower motor resistor

Hayden likes this.
  5. Hayden

Hayden Newbie

I ended up pulling it all apart and found a rats nest in the fresh air/ air recirculation box cleaned that all out which solved why it wasn’t hardly blowing. I’m thinking it may have burned it up just getting hot and not having air flow. This weekend when i get some time I’m probably going to pull the blower out and put constant power to and see if it will run. If that’s not it. I’ll buy a new resistor, I’m pretty sure its bad anyway because i only have high.