? fuel senser

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by oni, Oct 22, 2017.

1. oni

oni Newbie

78 20r oddysey to flatbed.
    issue at present,tank full,she starts runs awhile then dies,starts but won't stay running. carburetor getting gas,new fuel pump and filter/new hoses. I'm getting ready to test the fuel sender,my first time. any feedback would be appreciated. thanks

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Is there spark?

3. oni

oni Newbie

yes,fires right up. it'll run awhile, then shut off, when I go to turn it over it'll start then immediately die.

4. oni

oni Newbie

I'm leaning that direction, the gas gauge doesn't work at all,so I'm thinking either it's stuck in a certain position or is about to go completely out.

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Fuel sending unit wont affect it running. You may have a dirty filter.

Do you have a mechanical pump or electric

6. oni

oni Newbie

I have one in the gas tank and one on the body inline with the fuel filter. tried to upload pictures but my phone is slow :)

7. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    If you have a factory electric fuel pump, then it sounds like the classic symptoms of a disconnected or faulty oil pressure safety switch or oil pressure safety switch relay.

During cranking, the pressure safety switch is bypassed. The fuel bowl fills up, engine starts and runs. When you release the key after the engine starts, the current is then grounded through the switch through the relay. If you have a bad switch or relay, then no ground, the pump stops and the fuel bowl empties and engine dies.

8. oni

oni Newbie

78 Toyota truck
    fuel pump in gas tank and one inline with fuel filter on the body. don't know where to look for this. scarce videos or pictures :-(

9. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Since you have a fuel pump in the tank, I assume the truck came with it from the factory (I have an RN55 which has a mechanical fuel pump). If so, the oil pressure switch should be on the side of the block below intake manifold. The relay could be anywhere; you need a service manual. On the cars, they are usually behind the driver's side kick panel.

Although, the first question should have been, when did this start? Out of the blue or after you changed something?

10. oni

oni Newbie

think I found it,later reply due to back issues :-( I think this truck has too many fuel filters and pumps. one in tank,one on the body,one under the hood each. if I had a dual gas tank setup would this be accurate? I no longer have a dual system,I removed one. and would that effect why it'll start and not stay running. guy came out yesterday,took one of them under the hood off,did something to the carburetor and now it'll start and reviews way to high,had to shut the truck off because it wouldn't idle down with the peddle. actually I think there's two fuel filters under the hood ptc and a white plastic one. I'll try to upload pictures later today.