How to Add Air Contidioning to your turck

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by toy_spd, Mar 30, 2011.

1. toy_spd

toy_spd Addict

Truck:
    92 SR5 V6 Extra Cab
    This will vary between your year and engine type buts its really straight forward.

My truck is a 90 22R with Federal Emissions, this means I have an Air Pump.
    Parts List:
    A/c Compressor Bracket. 22R and 22RE are same unless you have a Air Pump then you need a special 2 part or one part bracket.
    dash ac switch
    Compressor
    Condenser
    Dryer
    Evaporator
    Low Pressure lines
    High Pressure lines
    Idle up VSV switch
    Idle up diaphragm for 22R or the valve that attaches to the 22R intake pendulum or passenger fender on the v-6's
    A/C oring kit, assorted sizes.
    A/C Belt
    Most trucks I have seen come pre-wired for a/c just drop in and charge.
    some like mine required a special harness that plugs into the VSV and compressor.

Before installing anything I installed new o-rings on every fitting that is on the A/C system.
    22R:
    Then I installed the single piece high mount compressor bracket. I sourced this at the local pick a part. but it did not work. its for a older style compressor.
    It is made out of a single cast peace.
    [​IMG]

This is the correct 2 part bracket for a 22R
    [​IMG]
    Installed:
    [​IMG]
    22RE
    [​IMG]
    V6 3.0. sorry no pic:doah:
    Make sure you get all the bolts that go with the brackets. if you don't your stock ones will not work. They will be to short.

To make it simple, removed the front end.
    [​IMG]

With the front end removed you can just slide in the A/C Condenser, Dryer. and lines into place and bolt them right up. I slid in the high pressure line that comes in from the Evaporator and head towards the condenser from the front thru the small opening in the core support.
    [​IMG]

Once the high psi is in place you cant go to the inside of your dash and take out your glove box. Once you are there you can remove the part that is between the heater and the blower.
    [​IMG]
    now that you have huge gap you can install your Evaporator core
    [​IMG]
    When it is in place, connect the electrical harness plug to the Evap.
    When you source this part make sure you get the rubber seals and install them as well. once its installed you need to install the drain/drip tube.
    some cars have them some don't because they fell out. the one I sourced came with the clip that attached to the fender.

Now you can attach your high pressure and low pressure lines and then install your compressor.
    [​IMG]

Add your new belt.

now you cant plug in your compressor to the electrical harness
    22RE Compressor plug is a gray, fund under the TB by the temp sensors
    22RE VSV is located on top of the valve cover electrical plug is taped to other vsv harnesses.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22RE Idle control valve is attached to the intake pendulum. and will ether have all hose connections in use if you have P/S or not.
    [​IMG]

22R idle up diaphragm
    [​IMG]
    22R VSV is mounted on the Fender
    Special plug is connected from under fuse box to vsv then to compressor

3.0 Compressor plug is on the main harness buy the compressor
    3.0 VSV and idle up are attache to one central location on the fender
    [​IMG]

Attach all vacuum hoses according to the label under the hood.

once you all set and everything is nice an tight you can ether charge it or have it vacuumed out if your doing a R134 retrofit.

If the parts you sourced are for a R134 then you can charge your system with a simple kit you can buy.

If you don't know how to do it, take it to a shop and have them charge it.

once you are charged up you can now enjoy driving around w/ air conditioning.

Questions, comments welcome.:waytogo:

2. seagrovebob

seagrovebob Newbie

1990 2WD A/C Install

I am trying to install A/C in a 1990 truck 2WD 22r. The truck did not come with A/C. I bought a kit online from a used truck. It looks like everything is included. This thread is very helpful, but some of the photos are not loading. It looks like the links to the photos are broken. Is there any way I could see these photos? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. toy_spd

toy_spd Addict

Truck:
    92 SR5 V6 Extra Cab
    22R bracket
    [​IMG]
    Installed
    [​IMG]

Front end Removed
    [​IMG]
    Condenser Dryer installed
    [​IMG]

The under dash air duct removed, now you can install you evaporator core.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

compressor installed and all lines convected
    [​IMG]

22r idle up diaphragm
    [​IMG]
    Idle up VSV for 22R
    [​IMG]

4. toy_spd

toy_spd Addict

Truck:
    92 SR5 V6 Extra Cab
    A/C Update:
    The AC Amplifier controls Idle up and turns on the AC Compressor. Using what I had sourced, all 22RE Parts, the 22R engine harness would not get a Idle up signal. so I made a jumper plug so it would work. AC Compressor on Idle up is engaged. But I didn't like the fact that it was not factory original.

Today I was able to source the AC Amplifier for a 22R, at 1st I did not get the entire harness, but later I went back to get it. You need the AC Amplifier and harness for a 22R in order for everything to work properly. If you don't have them, it will still work using a Jumper wire between the AC Compressor wire and the Idle up wire.

Here are Pictures so you can see the difference.
    This is located on top of the Evaporator under the dash. You turn the Knob so tell it when to Idle up at a certain RPM.

22RE PN# 077100-3391 on the LEFT and 22R PN# 077100-3411 Right
    [​IMG]

22RE PN# 077100-3391
    [​IMG]

22R PN# 077100-3411 Notice the additional resistors.
    [​IMG]

22R Harness plugged in. notice the different wire colors
    [​IMG]

22RE Harness
    [​IMG]

This is the 22RE plug that plugs into the vehicles factory harness, it is wired different than the 22R harness
    [​IMG]

This is the 22R harness plug that plugs into the trucks factory plug. As you can see it dose not have that jumper cable and is using different colors for wires.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now the AC is 100% OEM. no jumper wire to make it work.
    No one would ever know the difference between the 2 set ups.
    Its just personal preference that I wanted 100% OEM.

No Micky Mouse stuff.:waytogo:

5. seagrovebob

seagrovebob Newbie

My truck has an air pump. The kit I bought has a different compressor bracket. Where can I get the right one? Where is the connection for the Idle up VSV?

6. toy_spd

toy_spd Addict

Truck:
    92 SR5 V6 Extra Cab
    you going to have to look for it at salvage yards, and is your compressor have the right pulley as the air pump? There is a harness that you need to get so you can connect the ac and idle up vsv. look under the fuse box harness, for a taped up plug, its ether gray or white, the vsv wires and ac compressor wire plug into this plug. that's the extra harness you need to source out. one out of an older pickup truck will work. just get the matching vsv as well.

7. toy_spd

toy_spd Addict

Truck:
    92 SR5 V6 Extra Cab
    this is the 1st one i bought its a single pice and I would have needed to cut one tab off or run an older compressor to make it work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In this picture you see the VSV and the extra harness you need to get, 2 wires to the vsv and one to the compressor, then the 3 go to the truck, and top right is the idle up diaphragm
    you install on the carb.[​IMG]

8. Chucky

Chucky Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 pickup reg cab,82 sr5 long bed,93 reg cab sr5
    I'm doing this right now, mines does not have the air pump I'm using the newer model compressor though

9. kenichols29

kenichols29 Member

Toy_spd can you please repost the pictures that are missing? Im trying to figure out how to do this. I plan to convert my truck to efi and then add a/c. Will this cause any issues with wiring?

10. Bradthreee

Bradthreee Enthusiast

Truck:
    1990 xcab
    I'm planning on taking a look at an AC kit this weekend. I have a 1990 22RE and I'm going to look at one off a 1993 22RE. Is there anything I nned to look out for?

Can you simplify what is needed like in a checklist form?

I'll have to take a closer look at the pics you posted, I just want to make sure I get everything I need

11. Ghostwhite

Ghostwhite Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 reg/long 2wd
    I know this is an old thread but it may help me fix some of my vacuum shenanigans. I have factory AC and my lines are messed up as is my AC clutch wiring among other things.

Which VSV port goes to the idle up diaphragm and where does the other one go? Do you have any detail pics of the vacuum harnesses associated with AC?

Thank you

12. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    I know this is an old post, but is there any way to get in contact with the dude that posted it? I would like to see the pictures since I am about to do this same exact thing.

13. Juicyy

Juicyy Member

Truck:
    1993 single cab 22re 5sp rwd
    Ditto, amen!