1977 Hilux tranny problem

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Rileynyager, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Rileynyager

Rileynyager Newbie

Hey guys I'm new to yotas and can't really seem to figure out what is up with my new purchase. The shifter won't go into any gear and actually engage. I can shift it into any position but it doesn't completely go into any gear. With the truck running I can hear a faint whining noise when trying to get it into a gear. I've replaced the bushing in the shifter that was mostly to fix the problem with the slop in the shifter. Clutch seems to be working fine, no leaks from the master cylinder everything looks to be functioning properly from underneath. Could it be the transmission is toast? I've tried to find the boot for the bottom of the shifter but none have fit so far. I'm gonna try greasing the one I have a little bit and see if it will slide in. But other than all that you think bleeding the clutch would fix said problem? I'm hoping it's not something internal but it seems like it could be. I also have the stock W50 tranny in it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Caleb

Caleb Newbie

Truck:
    It's likely a shifter fork coming off the gear assembly. I have a 75 and it did something similar only it would constantly be in reverse despite shifting to different positions.

3. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    W50's were prone to breaking. Parts are hard to find.
    Had a friend bolt a G54 out of an 1988 truck into his 1978 motor home. He said it was almost a perfect swap.