89-95 xcab 2wd MT Driveshaft Measurement Needed Auto to w58 Swap

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by duhger, Jun 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. duhger

duhger Newbie

Truck:
    92 XCAB WHITE W58
    Evening gents,

Longtime lurker, thanks for getting me out of a few jams already :]

As the title states I need a measurement: the driveshaft length on your 5th gen. xcab MANUAL.
    Lots of info out there and I may be confused but this should be a LWB truck, 122" axle to axle. Just measured mine as such.

I'm heading down the road of auto - manual in my late grandfathers truck. It was purchased several days after I was born in 1992 and I have known it my entire life. But I digress...

I have just about everything knicked on this W58 swap except the driveshaft. Local driveline shops won't mess with a 2 piece. If I had a measurement from the MT version of that truck I may be able to order one and just drop it in.

Measure it however you please and I'll copy you on my truck. Thanks in advance

2. duhger

duhger Newbie

Truck:
    92 XCAB WHITE W58
    I realized that manual drivers swapping to a different W series trans have not reported issues this would mean most W series trans cases should be the same length whether car (celica/supra/cressida) or truck (pickup/taco).
    The next piece is that most people successfully doing this conversion get a driveshaft from the 5MT donor truck OR from a longer wheelbase truck and have it shortened.
    This led me to believe the auto/manual driveshaft for this gen must be different lengths. Hardest part for me was sourcing a longbox or LWB MANUAL driveshaft. Once found I made the long drive to the yard and sure enough it is exactly 3" longer to make up for the shortened W58.

Cant confirm for short wheelbase trucks or other gens. But there is a difference in auto/manual for LWB trucks. (Mine is a 92)

Havent installed yet but I'm pretty confident it will fit. Hopefully will get some time tomorrow. Just wanted to post up since I couldnt find this exact info anywhere. Cheers

3. duhger

duhger Newbie

Truck:
    92 XCAB WHITE W58
    In a quiet corner, just talking to myself...

Attempted a driveshaft install the other day and while it fit, the slip yoke was pretty much bottomed out in the tranny. Whats worse is that my truck is up in the air, meaning that suspension compression would make this issue worse and blow out the seal on the tail shaft probably the first pothole I hit. Everywhere I've searched says to bottom out the slip yoke into the transmission and then pull it out .75" to 1" as an optimal distance. Too much slip clearance and you'll wallow out the splines on the trans and yoke.

I finally got a hold of a local shop that will shorten this one by about 1 1/8". Again thats a 1990 5MT LWB Driveshaft for a 1992 LWB Auto to Manual Conversion shortened by 1.125". Purchased used for $75 and shortened/balanced for $100. It's worth mentioning that my truck is already lowered 3-3.5" all around. Belltech spindles and BJ flip up front and 3-3.5" (I can't remember). With a stock height truck there is a chance that the Manual shaft from the same truck would fit.

Just hoping this thread will come up on google for the next guy who tries it. This was a new and unforseen challenge in this swap for me and I've been learning lots.

cheers

4. fred.d.k

fred.d.k Enthusiast

Seems that is a bit of the norm (sometimes). I am relatively new to the site, and there are certainly a number of members who respond regularly, but in general there is not a ton of traffic. Not sure if it is that people use Facebook more, or if they have moved to other sites. Lots of good historical info to search tho!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  5. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    I think it depends on the topic too... Some guys just don't have the knowledge and some don't know it off the top of their head, so they read posts and say "he'll figure it out when he puts in some work"...

My truck is an '86 swb, so when I read your post, I thought:

"Can't help much here. Install trans and take some measurements"...

lol, glad you figured it out and talked to yourself. I'm sure someone will appreciate the knowledge u shared :)

6. Super Stock

Super Stock Newbie

I am doing an auto to manual swap. 1992 Xtra cab 3.0 6Cyl with a A340E auto to a W59 manual. I need to know the driveshaft length on an x-cab manual. I would like to replace the intermediate shaft; that's the piece that includes the center bearing and connects to the yoke on the transmission. The measurement from the end of the center bearing to the center of the U-joint is 36" on the intermediate shaft I have (which came on the A340E automatic). I theorize that the W55 transmission length which came with the X-cab is the same as the W59 transmission on the 95-04 Tacoma. If so, then the driveline should work. If I find a shop that would lengthen a shaft for $100, I'd go that route but I've been quoted $300. An X-cab driveline complete will cost $75 from a junkyard. I'm looking for a clutch pedal and bracket, so let me know if you have one lying around for cheap.

If you have a manual transmission X-cab between 1988 and 2004, please post what transmission you have and the measurement between the centerline of the U-joint to the end of the carrier bearing. This will give an accurate measurement for the intermediate shaft without having to take it out. This will also help anyone doing this conversion in the future.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  7. duhger

duhger Newbie

Truck:
    92 XCAB WHITE W58
    Better late than never.... SuperStock you will need the whole pedalbox from a manual truck. 4Runner should work as well. It will bolt right up to your existing firewall and have a nice template for you too finagle some holes for the clutch slave.

I too have read that the W series boxes are all the same length. Just crawled up under the truck and its COLD. My final installed length was 36" exactly from center of U-joint to flange face behind the carrier. (33.25" to the center of the carrier.) Again thats on my w58 swapped 92 Xcab.

Hope this helps. I'd love to keep the info coming on this site as there are not many folks dedicated to the 2WD trucks.

8. Super Stock

Super Stock Newbie

Thanks for your reply. I discovered this and used the entire clutch/brake bracket and pedals from a manual transmission truck of the same era. Using the clutch bracket only (from a Tacoma) was useless. The brake on the automatics are wider and it will get in the way of the clutch pedal. I ended up using a 3" spacer on the driveline. I have yet to weld up a proper mount for the center bearing which also moved forward as a result of the conversion.