Project Hisa, my 85 22rte

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Drift Disciple, Mar 18, 2017.

1. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Started following you.

Drift Disciple likes this.
  2. Drift Disciple

Drift Disciple Enthusiast

Truck:
    95 single cab 2wd 5spd 4cyl standard bed
    Finally started my 1ton bar swap

That's a big difference

And because of my concern about not wanting to be crushed by a car and not get to see my newborn daughter grow up I always use jackstands and the like when ever I'm under a car.......

Well today that paid off because as it was sitting on the ramps and I was setting ride height I needed to turn up the driver side another 1/16" so I slid back under and then there was a POP!!! And the truck fell 1/2" right onto the jack and jack stand I had place under there as a precaution. After I collected myself and looked the arm had bent open and allowed the adjuster bolt to slip through and the truck fell

Morale of the story............ ALWAYS USE JACK STANDS!!!!!! Even if you think you just need to do something real quick, ALWAYS use them

3. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    Glad you're alive dude, I know that feeling! Jack stands are definitely life savers.

Got any pictures of your BOV setup?

4. Drift Disciple

Truck:
    Glad I'm ok too, yeah I'll post some pics but I want to do it differently from how the previous owner did it and add a intercooler

Also got the torsion arm fixed and finished with the install, just need to do the rear bar now

5. Drift Disciple

Truck:
  6. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    90 standard cab 2wd short bed
    Looks good :applause:

7. Drift Disciple

Truck:
  8. Drift Disciple

Truck:
    Well in true racer fashion I waited till the day before the race to try and install my rear sway bar. Went to the local yard to look for endlinks and came back with more than anticipated lol, got some 4x4 fenders/valance, and another set of front and rear swaybars off a 94 1ton dually Figured I'd clean them up and sell them to help pay for the fenders

I used my custom made delrin bushings on the rear bar and new poly everywhere else but still had to make axle mounts and weld the frame mounts on, (crummy pic but it's the best I could do at 11pm before I had to leave for the race at 6am

Also got the fenders and hazard lower valance (that I need to replace) on, soooo much better and definitely helped with my rubbing issues

Made it to the autox on time even with our 3month old baby girl, my ladies rock!

Me with the others in my run group.... no big just a couple 500+hp zo6 corvettes vipers and a turbo Miata

All in all the truck did great, went from a 54sec lap down to a 48.7 I was slower than a lot of the cars there but when the field is mostly high dollar cars (next day was the vette/viper challenge) like porsche 911 turbo, m3, 2016 z28 ect ect. Closest thing to me were a turbo Miata on 200 treadwear tires (mine are 360) a focus ST, an Acura rsx, a 70 LS 5spd nova and a 70's Alfa Romeo lol I ran the same as the rsx, 1 sec behind the nova, beat the Alfa but was 3 sec behind the Miata and focus ST. Still learned a lot and the truck definitely had more in her I just kept having a hard time finding second with my sloppy trans, but even missing second and having to coast around the horseshoe at the back have I still turned my personal best so the truck definitely had a 47 or better in her ..... more coming soon

jetas likes this.
  9. Drift Disciple

Truck:
  10. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    How often do they hold the events at the airport?

11. Drift Disciple

Truck:
    They hold them pretty often, usually 1-2 times a month.

12. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Il have to go check it out at some point

13. Drift Disciple

Truck:
    I usually post when I'm going weeks in advance if you want to tag along spectating is free you just gotta get there on time. Or it's $75 to race and food voucher

14. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

I can't hear the vid. Was that intentional. Wanted to hear the motor.

15. Drift Disciple

Truck:
    It wasn't intentional, my buddy used my phone to record it and I think he had his hand over the speaker or something. The next race I'll borrow my dads gopro and have more videos with audio

Kirk likes this.
  16. Kirk

Kirk Member

Hey man beautiful truck simple and nice got a question though that red and black strip on the side what is it called I would love to have it on mines

17. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Il keep an eye out for your post. I hear theyre holding drag races out there too

18. Drift Disciple

Truck:
    It's just some universal stick on molding, the black is a carbon look-a-like and a thin piece of red above it

Yeah I heard they did but they had some people that weren't slowing down in time so they might not do them again. I've been wanting to find some other mini trucks to go to the autocross/tracks with but it feels like I'm the only one doing it out here

19. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    What is it like autocrossing a "long frame" mini-truck? This is open to others who have done so, as well. Also, is the frame rigid enough to make the suspension work to its best ability? It just seems like it would be much more difficult to make the tight turns that probably favor much shorter wheelbase cars such as Miatas. I probably won't ever autocross my long bed but I DO like to have good handling vehicles...

TIA

20. Drift Disciple

Truck:
    I've autox'd both my Toyota's. My first build is on here as well "a severely abused 95 single/short". As title suggests it was a swb 95 single cab. It was a fresh 22re with the exact same suspension upgrades on mustang wheels but I was running 235/40/17 front and 255/40/17 rear tires (versus my current 245/40/17 front/rear). And I must say that the extra wheelbase makes it much more stable and less tail happy then my old 95 was. I prefer the look of the swb over the extra cab but I love the extra room to much to go back. If it was a newer taco then I'd go back to single cab because they had more room and look better but from a "racing perspective" I haven't noticed a downside to the extra wheelbase