Ct20 rebuild

Discussion in '1984-1988 Pickup Discussion' started by Boostedyota50, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Boostedyota50

Boostedyota50 Newbie

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and the Toyota ownership and I picked up a factory 22rte 2wd 5sp xtracab pickup. I build a simple intake and intake tube (arm to turbo) since the OE one had a crack and I couldn't find a stock one. I also did a home built 2.5 turbo back exhaust with magna flow resonator which bumped me to 12psi. It has aftermarket front and rear swaybars and starion wheels (Idk which versions) truck runs epic and pulls hard.

So here is my concern. The turbo makes a chirping noise when cold and doesn't go away until it's hot. I have a factory turbo ct20 I want to do rebuild or ct26 upgrade. Where do you guys get the rebuild or cartridge and or a good ct26? Or a solution for the chirping?

I have a fmic and bov I'll be installing in week or 2 also.
    I want to do electric fans any opnions or junkyard ideas for that?
    Is there any chances of doing an updated front end on this thing also? IMG_20160905_193507.jpg received_10209710820228016.jpeg

yotarip likes this.
  2. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    welcome to TM!!! Nice find brother!!!
    So far as your turbo goes that's really hard to say what's wrong with out seeing it but yeah, just replace the thing. Sounds like a failing bearing to me but again idk. Check around online partswearhouse car quest ect. I'm sure it out their just gotta look in all different places....
    So far as the fan goes theirs a TON of cars you can pull them from at the junk yard..... Just check the dimension and and any puller fan can will work, wire with a relay and you done. I know the 92 body style Ford Taurus is a for sure bet and a lot of earlier model Volvos will also work
    So far as update the front end what excally did you mean? As in rack and pinon? Short anwser their is not with out a lot of cutting and welding custom fabrication.
    They do make things like drop spindles lower control arms and poly bushings that are pretty inexpensive. Anyways hope this helps. Again welcome to TM!

3. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Nice truck. I installed and intercooler on my 22rte which was necessary for me to run 10 psi with that ct20. I did get a 1 psi pressure drop but it ran great. I recommend it.

Nice exhaust fitting there.

4. Boostedyota50

Boostedyota50 Newbie

Thanks man yea I'm really happy with the exhaust I built the flow increase pushed me to 12psi I want to put the intercooler on and see where that sets me I only want about 10psi Idk what's safe on these without tuning and doing head bolts and stuff. I'm still waiting to get a wide band too.

5. Boostedyota50

Boostedyota50 Newbie

I'm happy with the height and handling I want stiffer springs. But I mean the look of the front. Nicer front bumper. Aftermarket grill better headlights lower valance and hood with scoop

6. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    Oh ok, so far as the grill hood ect. That's a pretty limited market. You can find a few different things like the side marker lights (different lens types) but the would be the Australian type of the JDM type. You could run a 4wd valance or another really popular on would be and Isuzu rode/ Honda passport one. Their are a few different oem grills. Can't say I've really seen an aftermarket hood tho....
    On these older trucks you will have to custom fabricate all the little things as their really isn't a "Buy it Now" option.
    [​IMG]
    I got both my grill and the valance form the junk yard for under $20 bucks.

7. Boostedyota50

Boostedyota50 Newbie

Right on man thanks for the good info I love to fabricate and make things work. I just need to know where to look for pieces of the puzzle. What is lower and bumper off of? My junkyard almost never have decent toyotas. We have a toyota recycler who buys them once the junkyard gets them then they part them out for high prices lol

8. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

I hit fuel cut at around 14-15 psi. Even though I shimmed the waste gate to deliver 10 psi, on really cold winter days, less than 30 degrees, it would reach 15 psi and cut the fuel. I dont know if the large intercooler and cold air caused the boost spike.

One more thing, I dont know if the transmission in your truck is original but a w58 from a celica or supra will be a great upgrade. The longer gearing will be a huge improvement in the performance of the truck.

9. Boostedyota50

Boostedyota50 Newbie

Very good info the Thanks man. I have the r150 trans according to my vin tag. I'm going to put a 410 diff in it for torque and sliding. Can I lower my boost?? Or do you think the intercooler will kinda help with that? Im affraid of over boosting.

10. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    I've gotten a lot of helpful info on my turbo and all associated turning and what not from the guys over at www.22rte-trucks.com/simplemachinesforum/ there is a lot of knowledge going on over there for these specific trucks

Boostedyota50 likes this.
  11. Boostedyota50

Boostedyota50 Newbie

I'm have to check out their page. I love this truck and just want to make it better.ha

12. Kirk

Kirk Member

Hey guys was reading y'all posts and I want especially to ad a turbo when I'm rebuilding my 22're but don't want a lot of boost just a little pep up so was wondering if I can just ad the turbo without having to get biggie back ecu and injector change can I just ad the turbo and since I'm gonna rebuild my engine should I get any specific type of internal parts to make it handle turbo or will the normal internal handle it fine

13. Kirk

Kirk Member

14. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    From what I know, it is very expensive for the little gains you get. The turbo engines have a different head, different pistons, forged internals, and you would have to drill oil feed ports in your engine. I don't have enough knowledge to say no, but from what I've gathered from what I've read, is that it is not something you can simplify by just running low boost, it is a big deal to upgrade.