My red 83

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by fred.d.k, Nov 13, 2016.

1. mota man

mota man Newbie

Truck:
    80 longbed 2wd
    The truck is looking good lowered with the new mirrors. Sounds like you've already made up your mind about the extra holes lol but dude that Celica, :drool:

2. fred.d.k

fred.d.k Enthusiast

Thanks mota, that is about how I feel! Well I found some 195/55's cheap and got them mounted up. Had to crank the torsion bars back up a bit, so this where I end up. A bit of rubbing and not quite as low as I had hoped, but it will do. That and I am licensed, insured and legally on the road!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  3. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    Just put red tape over the extra holes. Or do what I did - Put screws in the holes and install fender mirrors

4. fred.d.k

fred.d.k Enthusiast

Ya, I filled the holes with bolts. Fender mirrors are on the list of changes. Even put the old girl to work yesterday. Hauling some drywall for my son.
    [​IMG]

Undecided on losing the back bumper.

5. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    I agree with doing fender mirrors. One thing to consider, if you keep the rectangle headlights, it'll look slightly more matched if you go with mirrors that is also mostly rectangle

I would lose that rear bumper, get another front bumper, and put that in it's place back there. If you split it so you could keep the license plate tucked in the factory location (but still see it), that would be pretty custom

6. fred.d.k

fred.d.k Enthusiast

That is a good point! (that i never would have considered). I like the look of the round headlights better, and I know the conversion can be done. But I am not sure how readily available, or how expensive, the parts are. As for the back bumper, using the front is an option I guess. The more is see examples without a rear bumper, the more I am liking that look.

7. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    That is a fine looking truck you have there, I really dig it's stance especially with those wheels.

You can find the buckets with the right doors on ebay sometimes for the round lights, usually at reasonable prices.

8. fred.d.k

fred.d.k Enthusiast

Thanks Justin. Looks better in the pics than in person. A lot of dings and missing paint (still original paint) - character, I guess!
    I am sure I could search it here, but what do I all need for the headlight converesion? The buckets that hold the headlight and the bezel/surround that includes the corner marker. That it? Will work with my current grill?

9. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    These links are just examples of what you need, but this way you see the pictures of the parts

Headlight buckets - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Headli...ash=item419b199e3f:g:5fkAAOSwyQtV0LUx&vxp=mtr

Headlight trim (also known as headlight door or bezel) http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Set-of-2-Left-Right-Side-Headlight-Door-Bezel-For-Toyota-Pickup-1979-1981-/331980984126?fits=Year:1980|Make:Toyota|Model:pickup&hash=item4d4b9bcf3e:g:m8EAAOSwdzVXlw7k&vxp=mtr

badass bulbs - http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Black-Halogen-Headlight-Amber-LED-Halo-Angel-Eye-Headlamp-6K-Light-Bulb-Pair-/332006569017?fits=Year:1980|Make:Toyota|Model:pickup&hash=item4d4d223439:g:4GcAAOSwiYFXE7m7&vxp=mtr

A new grille is only 40-60 bucks, so if it don't look quite right, just buy a proper year one

***you may have to make some new screw holes for some bits, but nothing you can't handle

10. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    I should point out some of the stuff is coming from Thailand, where this truck must be legendary based on how many of my parts come from there.

11. fred.d.k

fred.d.k Enthusiast

Wow, thanks for taking the time to lay that out for me! I need to get some Celica stuff sold, and spend some money.

12. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    It's no problem. At one point in time I wanted to do the round light conversion on my '82. Then I discovered how few people rock squared-off fender mirrors and figured I'd be different

13. fred.d.k

fred.d.k Enthusiast

Tuhd, I can't find a build thread to your '82. Where can I see some pics?

14. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
  15. fred.d.k

fred.d.k Enthusiast

Neither my fuel gauge (always showed empty), nor my odometer have been working. I guess I am a slow learning seeing as I have run out of gas twice, going by feel (good thing my wife has patience - bailed me out both times). So decided, to tackle the fuel gauge not working. Dropped the tank, pulled the sending unit, and sure enough the resistor wires were broken. It was right near the top, so I soldered them right to the tab.
    [​IMG]
    Plugged it back in, before reinstalling it in the tank. Moved the float and all appeared to be working as it should. As i moved the float, gauge went from full to empty. put the sending unit back in the tank and buttoned everything back up. Put the gas I had taken out of it back in. Showed a full tank, even though I knew it shouldn't, but wasn't too concerned how accurate it was at the top half, as long as it showed me something fairly accurate near empty. Well I have driven a fair bit, and I am still showing full. Wondering if I put the sending unit back in the wrong way and the float is hung up on something. It looked like it would only go in one way (float towards the long end of the tank). Is there a baffle it could be hung up on. Not sure why else it appeared to work out of the tank and now doesn't. It is a pain, but I guess I will be pulling the tanks again.

16. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Did the float move freely?

17. fred.d.k

fred.d.k Enthusiast

Yes it was. Nice and freely.

18. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Did you check to see if the resistance was within spec while you cycled it?

19. fred.d.k

fred.d.k Enthusiast

I did check it, although not sure of spec. It went 0-ish to 90 something. The mystery deepens. I took it all apart again tonight. Same deal. Out of the tank, the gauge showed empty when the float was "down". Showed half a tank - when about half way. Showed full when "up".
    OK, reinstalled it back in the empty tank - checked it - gauge showed empty. Buttoned everything back up. Put a few gallons in and checked it again. Gauge showed maybe a quarter tank (close enough). Figured i would go to the gas station up the street and put a few more gallons in and see what happens. Well on the way the gas station, the gauge starts to slowly climb to past full. And there it stays. Turn the key off, gauge drops. Turn it back on, goes straight to full. (Didn't add anymore, so still about a quarter tank in it). Waited a half hour, still goes straight up to past full.
    The only thing I didn't do when the sending unit was out, was leave the key on for a longer period of time.

20. fred.d.k

fred.d.k Enthusiast