clicking from rear end?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by KingBouyah, Jan 27, 2017.

1. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

I've got a 92 22re 2wd. I've noticed a clicking sound that I think is coming from the rear end that seems to be most noticeable when coasting in neutral below 10-15mph. It almost sounds like when, as a kid, you stuck a baseball card in the spokes of your tires. At first I thought it may have been my drive shaft hitting something as it spins, but I'm not sure. I can't really hear it when the truck is in gear, and I don't know if it's because it's drowned out by the engine and road noise, or if it's not happening in gear. I want to get my truck up in the air and spin the rear tires to see if there's any noise then, but it seems to be intermittent. It was loudest when I drove for about an hour on the freeway. Most of my driving is my short, in-town, commute to work, and I rarely notice it then.

Some internet searching has suggested it's probably something in the differential, but I don't know enough about diffs to know exactly what needs done with it or how serious it might be. Does anyone know if this is something that needs addressed right away?

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I would say its definitely something that needs to be looked at asap.

Bearings might be the problem

3. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

So an update on this in case anyone else runs into the same issue.
    I had it checked out, and the diagnosis was a bad u-joint. The diff was also leaking even after changing the seal. Apparently the pinion flange was worn unevenly, presumably from a broken u-joint. So I got a new one from the dealership. After that the diff was fairly quiet for a while, but now after about 400 miles there seems to be a more of a rattling noise between 30-40mph. I'm guessing there's an issue with the gears and I'll probably need a differential rebuild, but I haven't been back under there yet to get a better listen. It also looks like it may still be leaking, but I don't have any drips in my parking spot yet. So, yeah. That sounds like a fun, cheap fix.

I don't have the tools to rebuild it myself, so I'll either have to find someone locally to do it, drop the benjamins for an already rebuilt one (which no one seems to have the 7.5" rear) or send it off to become another step by step post on gearinstalls.com. Any way you slice it, I'm guessing it's going to set me back somewhere between $600-800.

Anybody been down this road before?