My 1972 Gen2 build

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by jetas, Jan 11, 2016.

1. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    It's called a powervalve.. it gives a quick shot of fuel when you stomp on the throttle.

I'd also suggest looking at your air/fuel mixture, and possibly add more timing.

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Im going to look into all that again, the last time i messed with the carb was last summer which was actually hot and lately its been cold and humid

3. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    any photos of what you did to install the bmw lamps, metal mods not wiring? TIA

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I dont have any pics of what i did but i took the factory light buckets and just started cutting small pieces off until the light fit. I also had to trim the core support a bit for the lights to fit.

Il try to get some pics and post em up later

Dan McBoost likes this.
  5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Small update, started back on this thing since i traded in my daily driver to get my mom a car, going to be putting in a lot more work on it now.

Started working on the interior, got the drivers seat mounted. Il be starting on the passenger side when I go back and buy more hardware.

Also got some $$ back from uncle sam sooo i got some parts that were much needed. The original Rubber brake lines for the front were trash and too short for some reason with the spindle swap(i tried the original ones and the newer ones that came with the spindles and both were too short)
    So i contacted LCE about the stainless braided lines and got measurements from them and the factory length 79-95 ones were too short but the ones for the same model years that are 3" longer are perfect. Picked those up[​IMG]

Also ordered tie rod ends and rear brake shoes, got some work ahead of me.[​IMG]

Stay tuned

grassfed and Sk1dmark like this.
  6. Sk1dmark

Sk1dmark Enthusiast

Truck:
    1977 Toyota Pickup, (SOLD) 1974 Hilux
    Good stuff man! I got the rubber lines for an '83 when I did my disc swap and they are in fact too short. I guess because it's designed to be in front of the knuckle on those, and we have to run the steering arm going backwards. Either way it was messed up and I'm glad you found the fix. I'll have to pick up a set of those lines!

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Yea bro i have to say i was very dissapointed that the stock parts didnt complete the swap.

Here is a pic for comparison, from left to right its stainless braided, 75+ stock line, stock line to the 72.
    [​IMG]
    Stock 72 line is just a bit longer than the 75+ but still too short.
    Heres the part number for the stainless braided lines
    [​IMG] Not sure why its upsidedown

8. CaRenegade

CaRenegade Newbie

I have a good 20r bottom block if you're in need? The engine has a bad headgasket.

Attached Files:

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Im good, truck has a running engine in it now

10. CaRenegade

CaRenegade Newbie

Oh ok good shit Was going to say just come pick it up and it's yours lol.

11. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    As i mentioned before i had a coworker start work on my brake lines and hes been too busy to come back and finish em so i went to remove what he did to clean em up with steel wool and noticed he did some shitty flares so i had to go back and re flare them. Pretty pissed off about that.

Got the stainless braided lines in up front along with new tie rods.

Had to change the oil drain plug on the engine, crush washer was all dry rotted and not sealing.

Still need to run the hardline to the rear end for the brakes, throw on the stainless line back there, change out the brake shoes, mount the passenger seat and wire up a few more things but dammet its all coming together

12. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Gettin' closer!

I need to get me some of those braided brake lines, mine look brittle and old.

Hey - I'm gonna be lowering my truck very soon -- what rear block size did you use? 3"? I assume you used MightyMax springs up front, which I've already got a pair of.

jetas likes this.
  13. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    The braided lines are super nice. I finally got around to running the hardline to the rear and put in the rear braided line, i HAD to make it work. Wasnt a drop in replacement like the fronts ended up being.

For the drop i have pepboys 3" blocks, beefed taco 1" bolt on block and pulled the middle leaf. The front i just cut about 3 turns off the stock springs

14. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    hmm...well that's a different setup than I thought you had...thanks

15. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Yea ive been trying to build this damn thing on a budget but it hasnt really worked lol

16. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Another update:

Got the brake lines done, poured some brake fluid in the master and went to bleed the brakes AND 2 flares didnt seal right gotta go back and reflare them.

In other news, got new fluid in the trans, passenger seat mounted, fenders and hood are back on, still gotta adjust the gaps and i got another set of wheels... they need to be polished, the lips need some love and the tires are shot but damn im actually excited about these
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Those are pretty cool.

I'm slowly trying to work on mine with a low budget too. Haven't lowered it because I need smaller tires to clear the fenders....in order to get smaller tires I need to sand out some scuffs and polish up my Heep turbine wheels first. Always one thing after another :)

18. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I feel you on that, my whole build up has been like that

19. twizted1

twizted1 Addict

Truck:
    '89 xcab 2wd
    ice wheels...back fits nicely looks like your fronts gonna hang out a bit....17s?

20. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Yea the rears should be fine, tire might rub a little. For the front i jacked up the LCA to get as close to the actual ride height as possible and it looked like with the camber it has it might just clear the fender. Need to get it on the ground but theres a couple more things I need to get done before i do that.

And yea theyre 17s