New member with an aging truck.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by mutantcolors, Jan 16, 2017.

1. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Hi,

Since Oct 2004 I've driven one truck exclusively, my 1989 Xtracab with a 22RE. The odometer quit a decade ago at 132,628.3 miles, but I give it closer to 300,000 these days.

It's contracted the timing chain rattle of death, and instead of rip half the motor apart or pay someone $1200 to redo all the timing stuff (actual quote!), I thought it's high time I freshen things up.

I'll be decommissioning it for a while, as I make a clear-cut plan of exactly what I'll swap, all the parts I expect to need, and the scary parts of the procedure.

So far a BEAMS blacktop with a 6 speed is the front runner, but a turbo diesel would kick major ass as well. I'm here to learn and to document the process. Feel free to suggest/recommend good ideas.

For all the amazing places this truck has taken me, it never made it in FRONT of the lens much, but here's one shot of my cat Kat lounging on the roof. Cooler full of beer and camp food in the back, as per usual.

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    OOh, I like the turbo deisel idea.

3. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

I think I like the idea, but preliminary research suggests it's the ultimate PITA of all swaps.

4. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

I never thought I would say this, but a 1J is in fact making its way up my list of candidates...more initial cash layout than a BEAMS but much more aftermarket support, and crazy MPG reports to boot.

Yes, MPG matters :waytogo:

No doubt I would eventually slaughter my differential with the thing, but they mate to W trannies and we know those fit my truck. Just ask the one I use daily!

5. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

My thoughts congealed a bit at the gym tonight.
    My other ride (which I bought in part to give my poor beat up truck a break) is...
    ...an 82 Supra.

So why not decide on an engine that can go in BOTH!?
    I'm really focusing in on a 1JZ or the dreaded 1UZ now. And yes, it has to be a daily driver.
    Turbo or no on the 1J is still unknown, lots of awesome but lots more work/trouble/expense. N/A will be overkill as is.

The BEAMS is neat and very mini-truck but what's a guy do when a water pump or some such goes on a 100% import engine? That finally clicked in my brain as a real problem for a truck that takes me out to the middle of nowhere.

I like where this is going. I was laughing at myself for having the audacity to consider a 1UZ in place of my 22RE, but here we are.

6. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

By the end of this I will look stupid, and like I waffle on everything, but I'm writing out my learning so I can refer back.

I found aftermarket support for the blacktop, and I learned that SC300s came with the complete package I would need/want - W58 tranny on a N/A 2JZ that you can scrap for a couple grand. The $$$ on JDM 2Js is so insane I threw that option out the window.

Don't like spending an extra grand to get a 1UZ to go manual, sorta same deal for 1JZ, so it looks like I'm back to the BEAMS, or an SC300 package. Not gonna BEAMS a Supra but I'd 2J them both...

7. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast