auto to 5 speed trans and gearbox swap

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by deadend_cruzer, Nov 30, 2014.

1. deadend_cruzer

deadend_cruzer Newbie

Truck:
    1987 hilux toyota
    can anyone on this forum give me some help ??
    i want to take out the automatic trans and gear box and replace it with a 5 speed manual...can anyone help me with other model hilux that might have a gear box and trans that will bolt straight in?? or just any advice or help at all would be appreciated...cheers. my truck is 1987 toyota hilux longbed

2. Scomber

Scomber Enthusiast

It seems like this bug is going around.

I pulled out my automatic last week. Sprained a rib doing it, which is why progress has been slow. Iron Nam has done it, so he may be around for insight.

Assuming everything is the same when you turn it upside down and put the steering on the wrong side, there's a little more than just swapping the transmission. You have to change the flywheel, change the driveshaft length slightly (mine will need about 4" extension welded in), and install the clutch peddle and hydraulics.

I'm debating if I need to replace the plate that sits between the engine and flywheel. The auto one has a hole to access the torque converter bolts, and the other one off my spare engine would protect the flywheel better, but...

If it's a 22 R or 22RE engine, you can use any of the W series transmissions. The most common choices would be the W55, W56 (lower first and second gears for loaded trucks), or W58 (Celica, faster, less torque) transmissions. In theory though, the W50 steel case transmission from my first car (1976 Corona, 20R engine) would bolt up to my project truck.

3. deadend_cruzer

deadend_cruzer Newbie

Truck:
    1987 hilux toyota
    thanks heaps for your reply man. ill look into it some more. yeah iwas aware about clutch and master cylinder and slave cylinder and that. ive got the 4y motor . so just gotta find somewhere with suitable trans and gearbox

4. izzyfanto

izzyfanto Newbie

Truck:
    84 2wd
    I just bought a 84 2WD with 120K. Great condition but has a 4 speed. Any thoughts about which 5 speed to swap with? Or any links to other threads about this?

5. Kirk

Kirk Member

6. Kirk

Kirk Member

hey guys can anyone tell me what what wires are the backup light wires In the auto tranny I want to connect my backup light switch swapped my auto trans out

7. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    I believe it is in the neutral start safety switch.

8. Kirk

Kirk Member

Yea but then I was checking it out tried all the wires but nothing gonna check again tmrw though

9. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    In my haynes manual is says it is a red wire with a blue stripe I believe. When I installed my B&M shifter, my backup lights stopped working along with my neutral start safety swtich. It is a bit stormy here, but if i get it figured out, I will let you know the specifics.

10. Kirk

Kirk Member

That would be great I saw that wire tested it but nothing from it any help would greatly appreciated I'm going up to my truck tmrw gonna check it out again to see if I have any blown fuse or something