90 SBC 350 Drift Truck

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Blakesommers77, May 1, 2016.

1. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    looks good! Hey man what quick question are you experiencing any Axel wrap with that much power?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  2. Blakesommers77

Blakesommers77 Member

Thanks man, not yet that I can feel from the cab. I have not slid much at over 40 MPH so the track on Sunday will probably provide a little more insight into where the downfall of the suspension setup is because most entries will be at around 60MPH. At low speeds it feels super good.

Ill let ya know.

-Blake

3. Blakesommers77

Blakesommers77 Member

So I did take the truck out on Sunday to the event. It was a blast but damn, I need more steering angle and more weight in the back LOL. What a handful. Probably gonna cut the stops out this weekend and design some brace to add a little weight in the rear. Going to try and add some more caster as well as add as much negative camber as possible. Only part of my tires that got worn during the event (besides the rear) was the sidewall on the front. No Bueno.

Anyway, here's a horrible pic. Documenting stuff with pics was not on my mind. I was just trying to not hit the wall.

[​IMG]

Ill try and dig up a video of the very first run.

Blake

jblaust likes this.
  4. gilpet79

gilpet79 Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 2wd
    I'm looking to put coilovers on the front of my truck too.....have you looked into a setup yet? I've been doing some research and trying to keep a certain budget.....obviously there needs to be big changes especially control arms.....my plan was to use djm or new stock lowers and modify the frame to accept dirt track uppers....then I was going to get a coilovers from qa1and build a top shock style top Mount and modify the lower to accept a bearing mount.....what were your plans? I just can't see spending the money on control arms for bags to just cut them up

5. Blakesommers77

Blakesommers77 Member

Been thinking about this too, For the top I'll probably build a strut tower. I don't have any of the qa1's to test this but will they for sure not fit through the middle of the stock uppers? I agree with all of the offroad options but cost is a bit of a turn off to be honest. 400-500 for some tubed uppers. I think we're on the same page though.

I wore a flat spot in my cam so nothing new on the truck, just been breaking in the new cam and cleaning up some wiring etc etc.

Blake

6. Chili327

Chili327 Newbie

Truck:
    83 2WD SR5 Shortbed
    What/where is your local track.?

7. Blakesommers77

Blakesommers77 Member

Stateline Idaho, then there are events at Spokane Raceway every now and then.

8. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    I don't have any QA1s either, but you can look up the spec of them on their site, then you can just measure the upper arms. When I did have the truck apart, it looks like you can modify the upper and then re-enforce the upper arms. There are pre made re-enforcements for the upper arms. Once I get the money and the time I plan to take the truck to someone or a shop and have them build the front and work out the details. Hopefully at the same time I can get a 4 link for the rear. I want to get away from the leafs.

9. Blakesommers77

Blakesommers77 Member

You have a link where I can get those upper re-inforcments?

10. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    I think i have them book marked at home. Will check tonight.

11. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Here u go. Scroll down the page, its near the bottum.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/BallJointSpacer.shtml

Im looking at probly doing these, https://www.carid.com/1987-toyota-pick-up-suspension-systems/fabtech-control-arm-kit-13290806.html

If those wont work due to angle and what not for the ball joints, then im going to go with these, http://builtrightfab.com/suspension/toyota-2wd-pickup-84-95/uca/.

Also see this thread about the QA1, shows a good pic of the issue you will have with the upper control arm.
    http://toyotaminis.com/forum/threads/help-with-qa1-coilovers.20951/

12. gilpet79

gilpet79 Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 2wd
    okay so I will post some links to things i was looking at for a pretty reasonable price.....
    Also unless you want to buy djm lowers you can just keep the stock ones and modify them how you please or what i may end up doing is just welding in new mounts for a gm style tubular lower but im not that far in my thoughts

anyway here is what i was looking at
    upper mounts to weld in http://pitstopusa.com/i-19425209-ho...nt-slotted-for-keys-6-hole-centers-steel.html
    uppers https://www.circletracksupply.com/pcr-4-bolt-upper-control-arms-steel-cross-shafts.html?cat=208
    ball joints https://www.circletracksupply.com/ball-joints-bolt-in-screw-in-press-in-upper.html?cat=208

So then the plan was to weld in and modify the mount as needed to fit the truck for which ever length control arm you need...the mount is also slotted to allow for slugs for a good bit of adjustment. and of course there are always shims haha
    as for the lowers might as well rip out all the torsion bars, beef up the shock mount area(upper and lower)
    and you should be able to order the qa1s with all the specs you need so before getting the qa1s which are going to run about $600 you have pretty much did the front suspension for about $250....so a little bit of time and 850 bucks you have a bad ass front end

what do you guys think?

13. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab

Good info, I do like the price cost of this instead of the ones I posted. It will be interesting to see who does this first and which route they take. Me it will be awhile before I do anything as I want to get the truck running first, let alone put back together.

14. Blakesommers77

Blakesommers77 Member

I'm trying to finish up the home buying process until i can do truck things. Hopefully gonna pick up on this thing soon. Front Suspension and Engine Tear Down are probably first.

Cheers

Blake

15. Blakesommers77

Blakesommers77 Member

So I blew up another transmission. If anyone does this swap run a TH400. I keep breaking TH350's for the dumbest reasons. Plastic gear behind the governor exploded into a million pieces due to a failing bushing. Hard to prepare for this sort of thing when you're buying used. I'm now limited to about half of first gear. Truck will be getting some love this season and I'll probably run the whole drift season in it this year since my e30 build is slow moving (Toyotas are way cheaper to build)

Boosted m54b30 build underway on my insta if anyone is curious.

@ruinedyota

16. Blakesommers77

Blakesommers77 Member

Bought a new house/shop :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New Wheels
    [​IMG]

Engine is out now, needs a new rear main seal and oil pump. I have an event this weekend that I am not ready for.

To do;
    Wheel spacers
    Rear main seal
    Oil pump
    Hydro E-brake plumbed and mounted

More updates coming every day

yotaman95 and Mr.Mini_4.0 like this.
  17. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    Omg thats awesome...thats what i want in my next house. 3rd car garage is nice but a shop with a rack is sooooo mich better

18. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    90 standard cab 2wd short bed
    Congrats on the shop with a house attached

19. Mr.Mini_4.0

Mr.Mini_4.0 Enthusiast

Congrats on the house!

20. Blakesommers77

Blakesommers77 Member

Blew up the engine at the last event, oil pump failed, so did my oil pressure gauge on the way to the track. Engine went a minute with no oil pressure at 6k RPM's so pretty much everything got destroyed.

The good news tho, I have a new engine!
    New Steel Modular Crank
    Bearings
    Rings
    Oil Pump
    High Comp Pistons
    Fresh Machine Work
    Gaskets etc etc

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also got my e brake a installed, just need to mount the bracket to the floor then ill be set.

yotaman95 likes this.