79 4x4 frame and engine with an 83 body and trans

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Chad Fancher, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Chad Fancher

Chad Fancher Newbie

Truck:
    1979frame 1983 body 4x4
    I recently purchased a 79 4x4 4 speed 20r that sat out in the woods for 5 years in Mississippi and was infested with mice. they chewed the wires and the whole truck smelled like urine. It sat with leaves on the roof and rusted large holes. I figured i could fix the rust until i took out the windshield and 3 out of the 4 corners were rusted out.
    I came across a 83 in Oklahoma that had a decent body compared to the 79. The frame on the 83 was shot and rusted in half. I brought it home with the hopes of swapping the cab and bed to make one good truck.

I plan on using the l52 instead of the l43 but i hear the l52 isnt a good trans Is there any truth to that?
    Since I would be using the cab off the 83 and the trans out of the truck will the holes all line up with the shift leavers? I assume they would but figured I would ask. I also read something about having to use the throw out bearing and shift fork off the 5 speed.

or Should i just leave the 4 speed?

Attached Files:

2. Chad Fancher

Chad Fancher Newbie

Truck:
    1979frame 1983 body 4x4
    got the cab moved over to the 79 frame

Attached Files:

3. Chad Fancher

Chad Fancher Newbie

Truck:
    1979frame 1983 body 4x4
    then a little engine work. De-smogged with LCE block offs. New weber 32/36 and a header

Attached Files:

4. Chad Fancher

Chad Fancher Newbie

Truck:
    1979frame 1983 body 4x4
    Moved the 70 wire harness over, welded in replacement floor pans. Brazed the gas tank leak. Swapped over the cut dash for the uncut one out of the 79. swapped the tilt steering over. Put in the Air conditioning from the 79. Swapped the door locks.

Attached Files: