Back to a Toyota

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by KingBouyah, Aug 24, 2016.

1. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

Hello Everyone!
    A little bit of history - I owned a 93 2WD base pickup about 6 years ago when I was going to school in Utah, but had to give it up because I was moving across the country for my first "real" job in PA and it would have cost almost as much to take with me as it did to buy it. It had some amateurish shaved handles (that had bondo that was starting to crack), a decent sunroof, and a saggy 4runner or 4wd front end. I had so many plans for that truck, but never had the cash to make it happen. I did get a keyless entry system put into it just before I gave it to my bro. in-law for $1000. (It didn't have one when I bought it, the PO just left the window down!). I never finished the seat reupholstery, though.

Well, long story even longer, I've been through two other vehicles as my daily driver since then (even though my bro. in-law still has the Toyota running, and it survived a nasty golf ball hailstorm in southern Alberta.) I'm back in Utah where cars don't rust quite as bad as they do in PA, and my commuter Cavalier was unregisterable this summer due to rust holes in the unibody frame that wouldn't pass safety. It had a solid engine with low-ish miles, so I sold it for parts. With that and some extra I found a 92 2WD base pickup 5speed that's in better condition than my 93 was when I bought it (at the exact same price). It's got a couple dents here and there and could use some sprucing up, but I sure do love driving it! Way better than my boring automatic Cavalier, though it served its purpose well.

I don't think I'm the type to drive a dropped, stanced, or bagged truck. So the things I have planned for my truck will probably never make it into TruckTrend, but I would like to class it up a bit and I'm not enough into the crawler scene to find myself very at home at the Yotatech scene. Even though I do live in Utah, near some undoubtedly epic trails, I probably fit better here.

Here's where I would like to start:
    -I'm going to have to keep this on a budget still, but I would love to get my hands on some bigger junkyard wheels that will shine up nicely, maybe from a Maxima or some sort of Jeep, preferrably something I don't have to enlarge the center bore. My dad has some decent enough looking rims on his Patriot.
    -I already installed a 4runner maplight with LED bulbs because the single domelight was so dry rotted, the edges of the lens that were left just crumbled away when I removed it. Without the lens the single bulb incandescent wasn't so bad, but I remember my 93 being so dim I could hardly see. Now the two LED bulbs are almost enough to light up not only the cab, but the bed, too.
    -I had considered some LED strips up under the edges of the bed rim, but with the double dome light, I might not need to.
    -I have LEDs for my instrument cluster, but haven't put them in yet. Trying to decide if I want to go through the effort of an SR5 cluster. If my truck is already wired for a tach, I might do it, but I haven't looked yet.
    -I also already installed a clock, which did you know it actually makes the truck go faster? Well, sort of. Before, I was usually late to work but I didn't know how much until I got there. (I work in food manufacturing, so I'm not allowed to wear a watch at work, so I don't bother wearing one ever.) Now that I can see that I'm late for work, I try to hustle to get there. Hence, the truck with a clock goes faster!
    -I have an illuminated cigarette lighter socket that I need to wire in, but I didn't realize the plug would be different. I also need to get the bracket for the ash tray.
    -The truck came with an aftermarket casette player with broken mounting tabs so it just flopped around inside the dash. The radio didn't work, so I yanked that out and have a nice dual DIN hole that I may fill with an OEM CD player for the time being. I would love to build in a touchscreen raspberry pi for the stereo, but not sure if that's a project I'd like to take on.
    -There's a 6 inch chunk missing from the dash cowl right above the instrument cluster that I would like to replace, but so far everything I've seen in the salvage yards is a single piece dash pad.
    -I saw a write up on replacing your sway bar with a 25mm one from a RV or box truck model for better handling, but I wouldn't even know where to look for those. I've never seen them in the salvage yards either.
    -Sounds pretty hillbilly, but I've seen some write-ups on roll-on paint jobs, that I might try just for fun. I have a vintage fridge for kegs I might try it on first. I can always sand it off and spray it if it turns out bad.
    -My bench seat is comfy enough for my 10 minute commute to work, but I'm not a fan of vinyl and the split bench with armrest looks fun. I might actually follow through on a reupholstery project this time if I find the spare seat first. I went about it all the wrong way last time.
    -My door panels are in good shape, but so plain looking. I would love to do something custom and those look like the easiest to customize. Though the storage pockets on the 4runner panels look handy. I guess I could make my own if I'm doing custom panels anyway.

Looking forward to browsing some great threads for more information and hopefully I can contribute as well as I work through some of my custom mods. Thanks for the welcome! Happy to be here!