88 p/u rwd 22r clunk noise

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Petersandoval88, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Petersandoval88

Petersandoval88 Newbie

Truck:
    88 Toyota Pickup 22r 2WD
    This clunk noise doesn't happen all the time but mostly only happens when I'm leaving 1st gear. I put it in 1st and while I'm releasing the clutch and pressing gas it sometimes make a clink/clunk noise and it really bothering me. I've read online that it could possibly be the u joints on the driveshaft but I just want to know if anyone else has had the same problem or what can possibly be the culprit to this noise.

2. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    90 standard cab 2wd short bed
    Check the u joints like you said. If you can also hear a loud "Cling" when downshifting or letting go of the gas and pressing it right after then yes it might be u joints. Let us know what you find!

3. Petersandoval88

Petersandoval88 Newbie

Truck:
    88 Toyota Pickup 22r 2WD
    Thanks for the response man yeah I'll try doing both things and keep you posted on it!

4. twizted1

twizted1 Addict

Truck:
    '89 xcab 2wd
    Syncros in the transmission, possibly?

5. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Its common for the rearend to clunck and clang once its had some mileage/ wear and tear put on it.

My dad's '86 4x4 has a little over 200k miles and does this all the time... its "slack" being taken up between the ring and pinion. He ran 33's on it for a while, used 4wd a few times and has done a lot of hauling/trailer pulling.

My '86 2wd has a little wear with 230k miles, but no noticable clunck.

6. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Both 8" rearends too...

U joints are an easy place to start tho... if narrowed down to the rearend, don't worry about it...

7. Bumpsie

Bumpsie Newbie

Truck:
    1988 pickup
    I've got the same , 88 2wd with noise from the driveshaft. Started with a clunk then it got to be a ping , now its ping-ping when the torque changes on it or forward to reverse. Rolling slow I can hear some clicking like it could be the needles all dried up. Finally I can get at it this weekend and change the u-joints and take a look for wear on the sleeve yoke. There's lots of play in the rear end (I've got the 8" too)

Anything else to look for while I'm under there? thanks.

I'll post up what I find anyway.

8. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Climb underneath the truck and grab the driveshaft. Twist it back and forth and see if you can isolate the noise. It sounds like a u-joint. If you have a center bearing, check that also.
    The 8" ring and pinion is pretty durable. You may have a little "slop" but usually not enough to make noticeable noise.
    And remember, truck off, transmission in 1st, and e-brake engaged.

9. Bumpsie

Bumpsie Newbie

Truck:
    1988 pickup
    Thanks for the tips Fred I'll do that!

10. Bumpsie

Bumpsie Newbie

Truck:
    1988 pickup
    Well I couldn't find the source of the noise.With a prybar in the joint I could get the driveshaft to ping but not sure where the actual movement is happening. With 2 new u-joints in it still sounds the same. The slip yoke looked good and well lubricated. I'm wondering if it could be the spline on the other end of the pinion. I doesn't seem like just the play in ring and pinion because it happenes when its working , the torque applied , then it pings, or relieve it it pings again.

11. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Never put a pry bar inside a u joint.
    Try jacking the rear axle up, place jack stands underneath, and check driveline again. Use the tires to turn the driveshaft.
    Have you used any blocks to raise or lower your stance? It's a long shot, but your u-joints could be out of phase.
    Worst case, take it to a shop and let them put it on a lift and check the driveline.