Just another 81 with the usual....

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Zack, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Zack

Zack Newbie

I had been looking for a solid, round eye, short bed for awhile and finally found this one. Somebody posted on Facebook that this one was for sale in Pink Hill NC, which just so happens to be 4 hours from where I live. After a few phone calls and a 4 hour drive I was able to scoop it up for $1000.... Had to replace a rotten radiator hose then hit the road for the 4 hour journey home, which it did like a champ. Plans are to put it in the dirt, restore the interior with a bangin sound system. Then later on some nice 15in wheels. I'll try and take pictures along the journey

Attached Files:

2. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Someone changed out the speedometer. The 6 digit odometer didn't come out until about 1983.

3. Zack

Zack Newbie

I'm aware that was the guys for sale ad... He obviously didn't know

1981pdx likes this.
  4. 1981pdx

1981pdx Newbie

Truck:
    81 standard
    keep me updated with your sound system work! I've got some 6"x9" boxes bouncing around behind my seat and some new door speakers, the guy before me cut in a pioneer deck. I'd love to redo the whole inside. Just finished "great-stuffing" my dashboard cracks.

5. Zack

Zack Newbie

This one has been butchered in the dash area 2. But I've tracked down a factory trim piece with original radio. I plan on making it all stock appearing and putting the head unit inside the glove box. Then building a box behind the seat similar to this

Attached Files:

MitchG likes this.
  6. Zack

Zack Newbie

Got her a little closer to the ground this afternoon

Attached Files:

1981pdx likes this.
  7. 1981pdx

1981pdx Newbie

Truck:
    81 standard
    I'm a noob. Did you flip the ball joints and leaf springs? It looks great. Are you keeping the steelies?

8. Zack

Zack Newbie

Turned the torsions in the front, 3in block with the center leaf removed and of course bump stops pulled front and rear. I plan on keeping the steelies for awhile but I did have to go to a smaller tire because it was rubbing so bad.

9. MitchG

MitchG Newbie

10. MitchG

MitchG Newbie

I have an 81 that I just picked up a bit ago.. I love the speaker box you built.. do you have the specs for it?? mine is yellow with a topper like from toy story.. but its not staying like that.. I am hoping to lower it and maybe rat rod it a bit..

11. Zack

Zack Newbie

That's a box I've found that I like, I haven't had the time to build my own yet

12. elliott

elliott Member

Truck:
    1981 toyota 3/4 ton pickup
    looks good lowered . I keep kicking around the idea of dropping my 81. thanks