igntior ignition

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Dennis goeden, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Dennis goeden

Dennis goeden Enthusiast

Truck:
    1973 rn22
    the plan for the weekend is to give the the 73 hilux some over due lovin . got a igntior ignition, flame thrower coil, new fuel pump , filter, bosh cap and rotor. and a distributor. that should make the old girl purr. my question is on the distributor there is a thumb screw to adjust the advance , starting point in the middle ? as i type it sounds like a stupid question, however i was thinking some one may have some experience with this set up. and on the left inner fender there is a vacuum/emission box with 4 hoses where are the proper ports or can i just delete if so how thanks in advanced for the help or ridicule

Attached Files:

2. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    I suspect what your referring to is known as the "octane selector" on the distributor near the vacuum advance unit.
    If your distributor is new or rebuilt new, you should not have to touch it.
    It would take too long to explain how this works on this thread. Research settings information online if needed.
    Basically it allows you to match ignition timing to grade of gasoline. Not as crucial today as it was 40 years ago.

Hilux74_kuddy likes this.
  3. Dennis goeden

Dennis goeden Enthusiast

Truck:
    1973 rn22
    put the new fuel pump in, filter, distributor ingitor and coil not hooked up to wiring harness. cranked 3 revolutions and stopped tried to turn the crank by hand stuck. pulled plugs tried to crank #3 shot a stream of fuel out .cranked till no more fuel came out. reinstalled plugs hooked up everything it started and ran but timing is way off try again tomorrow. last picture its fixable right

Attached Files:

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Last pic is not fixable. You can see the crankshaft thru the hole

5. Dennis goeden

Dennis goeden Enthusiast

Truck:
    1973 rn22
    what ? what a bout a magical wand to wave over it and its all better. lol thats the one i blew in 2005 the hole on the other side is better

Attached Files:

6. Dennis goeden

Dennis goeden Enthusiast

Truck:
    1973 rn22
    update how hard is it ti drop a distributor in the right spot, put one the timing spot. #1 up vacuum advance 30 deg angle from center line #1 hole on cap about 2 o clock wont run. tried moving #1 plug wire to each hole no good, turn distributor to parrell to center line of engine, will idel . on strobe light running marks on the pulley about 9:30 to 10:30 will not take fuel . ideas thanks

Attached Files:

7. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Get a good manual and go back to basics. #1 TDC on compression, are timing chain index marks aligned? Crank pully marks at TDC?
    Get the thing running then adjust timing to where you want it.

8. Dennis goeden

Dennis goeden Enthusiast

Truck:
    1973 rn22
    order a Toyota 8r-18rc manual. tried to re set the timing i do believe Fred is on the right track when rolling to the timing mark with #1 plug out i seen a shiny on the top of a piston. did a compression test #1 130 lbs #2 150 lbs #3 150 lbs #4 150 lbs found a spec of acceptable min 127 lbs with a difference of cylinders 14.2 lbs. how hard is it to change the timing chains and gears? is it do able in the truck or just pull it out and do it on a stand. thanks to Fred for pointing me in the right direction .

9. Dennis goeden

Dennis goeden Enthusiast

Truck:
    1973 rn22
    pulled valve cover , front cover , the timing chains junk on the pump shaft you could see the teeth at the bottom of the sprocket , and the key way was broken on the crank. so Fred Heath was spot on why i couldn't get to run right. so now what do a motor swap like every one esle , no not me. new crank , found a 8rc NEW oem head for a steal , so more compression , from 8.5 to 9 . motor and tranny came out yesterday . next weekend off to the machine shop to get piston measured and bore for the next set of pistons so total rebuild.

10. Dennis goeden

Dennis goeden Enthusiast

Truck:
    1973 rn22
    block went to machine shop #1 hole corroded past a 40 over cut so the hole is getting sleeved and 20 over pistons fitted , was told by the machine shop first of the week, i guss i should have asked what week . but he good so it should be worth the weight

11. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Hopefully its soon.

I shouldve looked at this thread sooner, i wouldve offered you the 20R block i have sitting in the garage

12. Dennis goeden

Dennis goeden Enthusiast

Truck:
    1973 rn22
    hope its soon too i got the truck from my granny and her birthday is at the end of the month and wanted to take her for a ride she will be 86 and the original owner.

fred.d.k and jetas like this.
  13. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Thatd be pretty damn cool

14. Dennis goeden

Dennis goeden Enthusiast

Truck:
    1973 rn22
    the machine shop called and said there done total price $ 525 break down of work sleave # 1 hole, cut #2#3#4 to 20 over, install bearing for pump shaft, small ends on rods , freeze plugs ,deck the block , set ring end gap ,hot tank the block . will pick up Tuesday picks coming.

15. Dennis goeden

Dennis goeden Enthusiast

Truck:
    1973 rn22
    got the old girl to run , i would recommend an ignitor conversion it easy and works good

16. Dennis goeden

Dennis goeden Enthusiast

Truck:
    1973 rn22
    DO NOT PUT POWER ON GROUND SIDE , it will fry , had to replace , its easy and works great