Breathers on a 22re

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by jblaust, May 1, 2016.

1. jblaust

jblaust Veteran

Truck:
    1994 Pickup Standard Cab Base 22RE Manual
    What are you guys opinions about running a breather on the PCV and crankcase on a 22RE? LCE recommends it for race applications only. I see people running them on their carb 22RE all the time. Not so much on the Fuel Injected ones. What is the pro's and cons of running breathers on top of the valve cover with the Fuel Injected 22RE? I like the cleaner look with the breathers. I understand what the PCV and crankcase vent does. I have already deleted the rest of my emissions and EGR. My understanding is the PCV breather will leak oil over time that normally would be blown back into the intake. I read some people run catch cans for this instead of the breather. Im just thinking I will have to be more diligent about keeping the valve cover clean from excess oil now if I decide to run them.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  2. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    If your engine is in good shape running a breather on the forward hole in the valvecover won't cause any oil mess issues. I've had engines with a bit of blow by that would make a mess of the valvecover since the pcv is a small line that couldn't keep up with the volume of air blowing the oil vapor out of the filter.

My 89 runs a 5/8" line to the intake in place of the pcv valve and a filter in the forward hole. I don't have any oil mess issues.

3. Playinwithtoys

Playinwithtoys Member

Truck:
    91 pickup
    You shouldnt get any oil leaks, the way the valve cover is made the baffle or whatever you want to call it blocks it from going up . Anyways i ran two on the front and the back of my 87 22r and no oil leaks or anything for 4 years ive had it . I forgot my filter size but it was from lc . Id only guess you got really bad blowby to get a mess of oil to show . If you do try it with the filters show some pics and give a update on it , i want to run them on my 91 RE but they havent given me problem the factory way to the intake .

4. jblaust

jblaust Veteran

Truck:
    Thanks for the input. I was reading about this topic on yota tech. Apparently people have alot of different opinions about deleting the emissions components and also running breathers. Seems like the majority who do delete the emissions stuff and run breathers don't have too many problems. I guess it's a preference thing more than anything. For me it's all about astetics and cleaning the clutter out of the engine bay. I like a clean simple look under the hood, but I don't want that to negatively effect performance in any way trying to achieve that clean look.

5. jblaust

jblaust Veteran

Truck:
    With that being said I ordered my breathers from LCE and I'm going to see how it does. It's easy enough to put the hoses back On if necessary.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  6. Playinwithtoys

Playinwithtoys Member

Truck:
    91 pickup
    Nice , let us know how it goes and again, please post some pics and show us how you got from point A topoint B i bet we all would like to see what youre dealing with

7. aaron_sk

aaron_sk Enthusiast

Truck:
    '94 Regular cab
    Oil leaks are the least of your worries. The reason no one runs them on the EFI is because it is a mass air system. A breather draws unregulated air into the intake. The truck will run lean as long as it is installed.

8. jblaust

jblaust Veteran

Truck:
    The intake gets plugged where the lines are disconnected. The breathers go on top of the valve cover only.

9. jblaust

jblaust Veteran

Truck:
    http://www.yotatech.com/f116/22re-valve-cover-breathers-146604/

This is one of the threads that I have been reading that went into detail on the subject. I honestly don't see why it would be a problem putting the 2 breathers on as long as you plug the original vacuum lines that used to goto the pcv and crankcase vent from the intake. The only downside I can see would be the oil that would normally blow by and get recirculated back into the intake to be reused might leak a little from the breather over time. If anything the intake should stay cleaner now without the egr and without the oil comming back through from the pcv. I will update what I find after I try it.

10. aaron_sk

aaron_sk Enthusiast

Truck:
    '94 Regular cab
    Yes, correct, by eliminating the PCV as well as the intake you remove the problem of unmetered air and are only left with the issues of power loss due to the rings not seating as welll against the cylinder walls due to lack of crankcase vacuum, excessive oil consumption, shorter oil life, ect.

Good luck!

11. jblaust

jblaust Veteran

Truck:
    After reading up on this, I have come to the conclusion that if your going to run a breather on an EFI system its probably better to leave the PCV as is and run the breather on the front crankcase vent only with the intake side of that tube plugged. I will post an update once i install it.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  12. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater

While I think running filters only is silly for a couple of reasons I don't see the lack of 1/2 pound of vacuum being the end of the world for the engine either. Under cruise conditions a 22re draws around 20 lbs vacuum. Now that's pretty low volume being pulled through an 8mm line especially when you take into account that the filter is 10" away so it's not drawing much from the crank case itself.

V engines make it easy since the filters go on one bank and the pcv goes on the other bank so it has to draw through the crank case. Not so much on an in line engine. Well, unless it's a 2.3 ford engine. The pcv is mounted in the block drawing air directly from the crank case but that's another story all together. :lol:

13. jblaust

jblaust Veteran

Truck:
    Been running a K&N breather from LCE on the Crankcase vent for a few weeks now and driving everyday. No noticeable difference or issues yet.

[​IMG]

Erwin Merida likes this.
  14. sitnlow4life

sitnlow4life Enthusiast

Truck:
    92 Std Cab 2.4L
    looks good, no delete those ugly vacumn lines

15. jblaust

jblaust Veteran

Truck:
    Im working on it. Changing the whole intake manifold soon. Lots of new stuff going in.