Another 78 Hilux build

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by nottoshabi, Feb 11, 2016.

1. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Black looks good.

2. twizted1

twizted1 Addict

Truck:
    '89 xcab 2wd
    +1...much better all blacked out....i laughed at the masking sheet behind the grill, person with glasses on. looking out. lol

3. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Looking good.

4. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I want to do the same thing to the rear lights. The plastic piece that goes around the light it self. I first need to find a new piece cause the ones I have are broken.

@twizted1 I was laughing at that to. I only noticed it when I took the pic, that was totally unintentional.

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Where are you located?

6. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

I live in the San Fernando valley.

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Theres a guy in Taft parting out a 73. The ad is on craigs

Perkolator likes this.
  8. mrhanky

mrhanky Member

Truck:
    1978 Sr5 (RN23)
    How did it turn out?

W_lux77 likes this.
  9. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

@mrhanky The timing light and the actual setting of the timing is really easy not much to it the gun has instruction that tells you exactly how to hook it up. Its easy and great to work with. With this specific gun. I don't know about other ones but I guess the principal applies. I did not buy the gun the shop I went to had it.

Now if your going to readjust your timing there is a little bit more to it than just point a light and rotating your distributor till it matches. So depending on your situation you should do what it is needed to be done.

Why do you want to readjust your timing?

10. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Yep, he's a cool guy. I contacted him after I saw you linked his ad in the CL Finds. He's hookin' me up with the one vent louver ball his truck has, lol. I'm sure he'd hook up mr nottooshabby with those tail lights.

11. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

Whats the name of the add? All I can find is a guy selling a passenger door when I searched Toyota hilux pick up.

12. mrhanky

mrhanky Member

Truck:
    1978 Sr5 (RN23)
    I'm sorry, I should have specified my question. I have a timing light and you how it works. I was referring to your attempt to patch up your cracked apart dash foam. How did that turn out?

13. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
  14. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

Got a chance to work on the truck today for a bit. Gave it a good wash, then I used the clay bar and took out some water marks and imperfections in the paint. Left the rust and some of the big scratches ;) it gives it character. Afterwards, I buff it all out now it looks a little shiny. Got the bed rhino sprayed on Thursday.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  15. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

A little update from this today. I got a chance to add the rims and tires as well a s the mirrors.
    [​IMG]
    This is how he sits right now a little high but the white walls give it a nice old school look. The mirrors are form a ford F150 they were really big and did not want to fit in the original wholes I had on the driver side door. So I had to bend them not only the L arm but also the brackets that connect to the door. Those were really a pain to bend.
    [​IMG]
    Once I got them mocked up to fit in the original wholes I set my marks and drilled wholes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I planned to lower the truck I got shocks and springs all around but as I took the wheels off and inspected what I had to work with I saw this monstrosity.
    [​IMG]
    This is the passenger side lower ball joint, lower bolt. Apparently it has been hit and fused together. I can not even pull the pin out because its totally fused in with the bolt. The bolt has no sides to grip a ratchet. I have no idea how to take this off???? I have also noticed the boots of the ball joints are also worn and broken on the driver side as well. So I have to order new one of those for top and bottom both sides. While I'm there I might as well replace these:
    [​IMG]
    What are these bushing called? When I search sway bar bushing it only shows the middle bushing and that is not these. So that was my progress so far for this Saturday 2 out of 3 things got done. I really wanted to install the suspension but the ball joints really put the brakes on that. If you guys can give me some ideas on how to remove that fused bolt I would love to hear it.

16. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Is it just crud built up on the ball joint nut? Pick at it and see it anything comes off. Mines were covered in crap.

Otherwise just order a new BJ and cut that bish out.

17. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    They are called end links or stabilizer links.

18. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Diggin the truck. I really need to paint mine white! I hardly see white Hilux anywhere - they're always seem to be red, orange, yellow or flat black, lol.

What's going on in your cab - Did you remove tint?
    What did your dash pad end up looking like? The PO painted my dash all white, but has the black cap on it - yours looks opposite in one of those pics, so I was curious. I ask because the white speaker/defroster cover glares on the inside of the windshield and I was thinking of what I can do to help this.

When I saw the pic of you drilling the doors I was immediately like "AAAAHHHH!!!"

As for the BJ - looks like someone drug that thing over something a few times, lol. I'd take a grinder/cutoff wheel to it - maybe make the bottom of the nut flush to remove all the "fused" section - then soak it in penetrant and take a vice grips, pipe wrench, channel locks, torch, you name it to try and get that thing off. If not, you can always try and split the nut with either a nut splitter tool or make a groove with grinder/dremel and use a cold chisel in the kerf.

19. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Looking back at your last 2 pics - looks to me like someone was driving and the wheel fell off....based on seeing all the drag marks on that BJ nut and kunckle + the worn through backing plate.
    Must have been fun times when that happened! Happened to me once on a lifted k5 blazer with 35" tires - I think someone tampered with my lugs while at a party. Good thing I was on a side street doing 25.

20. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

@Perkolator I took a break from doing the interior causes I want to finish the exterior. I'm still torn between the motif of the color scheme. At first I wanted to do a plaid bright color scheme, make it look like a unicorn shait rainbows in there.[​IMG] But then again I think it will hurt the resale value not that I plan on selling it anytime soon. So I'm torn between what I really want to do and the ability to resale it later on. Maybe in 5 to 7 years by that time all the interior will be all worn and ruined from wear and tear. Also how much is an upholstery shop is going to charge me to redo one seat to make it look like that? I could also make it all black and white to match the exterior with perforated double stitch diamond pattern. Once I find the seats that would dictate the color. If I get charged something like $300+ a seat to reupholster it in that plaid motif, that is way to much. The dash board I left it how you last saw it with bando on it. I have the plastic top for it in baby blue, if I want to wrap it in fabric or add the plastic cover the bando should act like a stable top plus it reinforced the bridle dash board. I need to sand it down to make it all nice and smooth. I will post pictures of the process when I get back to the interior. In a couple of weeks.

I want to finish the exterior I'm almost done. All I have left is to lower it add the tint back on, the first tint the back was to dark could not see out of it at night and the driver side door ripped the tint of the window when I lowered the window down I have a nasty bend in the window track. I also need to change the rear lights the plastic piece is torn and broken got new light but they are grey so I need to paint them and reinstall. I got the rear lights at home, and one of these weekends I will change it. But first I want to lower it. I'm going to read up on some of the posts on here from other people that have changed the shocks and springs. I have some questions regarding the process. I'm going to use a nut spliter to get rid of the road rash bolt. I need to replace all ball joint top and bottom on both sides. So any stubborn bolts I'm just going to split, I don't know if I will have access to a cutter.

So my questions are:
    Did they remove the break caliper and rotor, is that necessary to be able to get to the spring and shock?
    Are the ball joints pressed on, or removing the bolts is sufficient to pop of?
    Has any one ever used a ball joint removal tool, or just the fork and a BFH?