suspension mods

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Elhuaraches, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Elhuaraches

Elhuaraches Member

Truck:
    1984 Toyota Hilux 4x4
    my coworker as a suspension mod on his hilux and its called a zook mod not sure if its spelled right but basically u add a spring coil to ur existing leaf spring set up what are the ups and donws because it seems like it works and will help for a smoother ride

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Varying spring rates and a stiff ride

3. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    '94 single cab, 22re, 5spd
    zuk mod. look it up over on yotatech.

I personally don't like or condone this mod and think it looks pretty stupid

4. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    How would adding an additional coil spring to a leaf pack make it ride any better than a brick? :lol:

5. twizted1

twizted1 Addict

Truck:
    '89 xcab 2wd
    Wow, never heard or seen this...seems sketchy at best....
    [​IMG]

6. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Wow. I wouldnt recommend this for any reason.

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Definitely wouldnt do it myself. Air shocks seem like a better choice

8. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    '94 single cab, 22re, 5spd
    The theory behind it is that adding the coil will help fix the rear butt sag that a lot of the 4x4 trucks and early 4runners get from the clapped out leaf springs. The coils used have a pretty light spring rate and seem to lift the rears back up to stock height or add a little lift but I would much rather spend the money and get new replacement leafs or at least the stock ones re-arched.

9. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I don't like the zuk mod but can appreciate its redneck ingenuity, it's simple and effective, but not for everyone.

I had the exact problem on my 93 - saggy leafs and hitting the bump stops with a heavy load in the bed. I bit the bullet and dropped the coin on the proper fix with new leafs. I got Old Man Emu, Dakar medium duty leafs and OME shocks all around, very happy and it's been 5+ years.

Arctic Taco likes this.
  10. Elhuaraches

Elhuaraches Member

Truck:
    1984 Toyota Hilux 4x4
    i tried looking these up but the website didnt give any prices how much did you pay for the leaf springs.

11. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    It was not a cheap upgrade, which is why the ZUK-mod exists for those who don't want to make the investment. My truck used to be a DD and I also was doing a lot of yard work at my house and frequently loading up with compost, dirt, boulders, and other heavy loads exceeding 1000lbs.

I got everything from TRDParts4u. I think the OME leafs go for around $350-ish/pair. You'll also need a bushing kit ($30?), supposed to install new ubolts with new leafs ($40?) and perhaps new shackles if you want more height ($80?). I also got 4 OME shocks and a steering stabilizer ($400?) For the front I kept my stock t-bars and used 1.5" SDORI BJ spacers ($75) to match the rear height, just new leafs leaves it RAKED (had mine like this for a month or two until I did the front).

I also got the SDORI IFS frame brace for beefing up the rear LCA mount ($150). Later when I got 33s I adjusted the t-bars and my final height is 22.5" center axle to bottom of fender on all 4 corners -- the rear I think I will do new shackles and raise it 0.5-1" to gain some rake. It doesn't sag much with 1000lbs in the bed, but does go a tad past horizontal which I don't mind or notice. Mainly I need the height because when fully stuffed, my tire kisses the fender where the mud flaps mount, and I don't want to trim the fender yet.

Oh yeah, I also installed a Trail Gear u-bolt flip kit ($60) a few years ago - to gain some clearance under the axle and to /\ my rear shocks for a little more flex because shocks were limiting droop. So if you're planning to do ubolt flip, buy that instead of regular ubolts - you'll have to weld new shock mounts though, which is why I didn't do it initially.

12. Elhuaraches

Elhuaraches Member

Truck:
    1984 Toyota Hilux 4x4
    Hmmm dang dude sounds pretty expensive jaja suspension and tires alone can be worth more than the truck jaja. More leafs the better right ?

13. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Gotta pay to play I suppose and off-roading isnt cheap. Tires and gears can be even more expensive than my basic suspension upgrade. Figure a 33"+ MT tire is gonna cost $300/ea, you may need new wheels to even use them at $50+/ea, then if you need gears and lockers f/r you're looking at around $2000+ For new parts.

I got a used set of wheels for like $125 and nearly new 33" Toyos for $600. I got used factory 4.88 diffs for $500 and a rear lock rite locker for under $300

As for leafs I'm not sure where the balance is at, probably like 3-4 leafs so you get flex and weight capacity.

14. Elhuaraches

Elhuaraches Member

Truck:
    1984 Toyota Hilux 4x4
    yeah i know offroading isnt cheap thought building my celica was expensive jajaja noooo way lol

15. Toyotashack

Toyotashack Enthusiast

Truck:
    77 hilux 92 2wd 89&90 runners
    Old thread but I thought I'd go against the grain here. Been running the Zuk mod with the strait coil. frame bump cut spring inside.10 plus years. Love it. 89 4runner. Rides so good. Thru multiple states and back. Daily driven and lite wheeling. The set up pictured above is super stinky I'll agree but with correct spring choice this mod can look good and ride better than some lift leafs. IMO.