best place to buy weber carbs online

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by bootleg, Aug 27, 2009.

1. bootleg

bootleg Enthusiast

Truck:
    1990 4-speed
    Sorry I don't have the correct answer to post but hopefully it will emerge in this thread:shrug:

2. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic Addict

Truck:
    '79 4x4,'89 short-bed 2wd, '85 4Runner
    I bought mine (weber 32-36) from an ebay storefront. I forget exactly what I paid, but after pricing them out at a couple stores I ended up going through ebay. If you just punch weber carbeutrator into ebay you will find some results. Like this for example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyo...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Seems like a good deal, but you probably want a kit with the adapter and everything.

3. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    www.webercarbsdirect.com
    www.redlineweber.com
    www.carburetion.com

and belive it or not amazon.com. you can find some deals on ebay, but beware of chinese/mexican copys. they are not the same, real webers are made in italy or california.

if its from italy its a refurb (old), if from cali its new and will have a "redline" stamp in addition to the weber logo.

4. Shadetree Mechanic

Truck:
    Where would I find this logo on mine? My carb is newly manufactured. The e-bay storefront i ordered through seemed legit. He actually was the first person I ever heard of a knock off Weber from. I think I used to have a knock off Weber on my truck. When I first got it it had a carb on it with a Weber stamp but it didn't look like any Weber any of my friends had ever seen. The guy I bought my new carb from said that it was actually manufactured by Aisin or some other company, I can't actually remember for sure, and that they had just stamped Weber over the top of it. My new carb however looks and acts like a Weber. I hope it wasn't made in China. I wonder how common this really is? Have you ever seen a Chinese knock off Weber?

5. krazyasslunatic

krazyasslunatic Enthusiast

Truck:
    1971 Hilux
    I ordered mine from autopartswarehouse.com for a for $283 shipped. Havent received it yet but talked to my friend and he said theres cheap knockoffs made by a company called empi or something anf that their crap. Hope thats not what I got

6. Toyo Trucker

Toyo Trucker Addict

7. IBeSeeN

IBeSeeN Addict

Truck:
    89 Toyota
  8. Shadetree Mechanic

Truck:
    Bump cuz I still want to get to the bottom of this...

9. Shadetree Mechanic

Truck:
    Ok, I emailed webercarbsdirect from ebay and got this super half-ass reply:

"We only sell true Weber carbs. Either made in USA or spain. The made in China knockoffs are sold by EMPI not us. thanks"

So I looked into it a little more and found this much more informative blog:

http://genuineweber.blogspot.com/

Should answer many remaining questions about counterfeit carbs.:waytogo:

10. millcitysboy606

millcitysboy606 Enthusiast

Truck:
    87 Pickup
    Im selling my a weber carb... rebuilt it myself... has a brand new top mount filter nd a brand new electric choke

11. FOKAI12

FOKAI12 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1992 Reg Cab
    I bought mine at LCE

12. Shadetree Mechanic

Truck:
    webercarbsdirect.com

I think I should bring you all in on my discussion thus far with webercarbsdirect.

From me to webercarbsdirect.com:

Hello,

I recently bought a Weber carb from a ebay seller and now I just heard about there are a lot of counterfeit weber carbs that are actually made in china. I was wondering if you could please tell me how I can tell if the carb I already bought is a genuine Weber part. Thank you very much for your time! I know I am not even a customer of yours yet but I could really use some info and I will pass along what I find out on the Toyota forums I frequne so it will probably end up netting you some sales. Thanks again,

Dan

[email protected]:

We only sell true Weber carbs. Either made in USA or spain. The made in China knockoffs are sold by EMPI not us. thanks

Right but my question was if there is any way you can tell me to tell a knock off Weber from the real thing. There must be some visible differences? Thanks again for your help.

[email protected]:

Yes a true Weber will have the Weber stamp on them..the knockoffs wont

The reason I am asking is because of this:

http://genuineweber.blogspot.com/

Here is a excerpt:

"In our opinion “Genuine” infers two things – that it is real and original. There is only one original Weber and that is the European produced, Italian designed, carburetor built in Spain. These carburetors were originally designed and engineered by the Weber Carburetor company in Italy. Consumers should be aware that what Weber North America is doing is importing a Solex designed carburetor from South America – branding it a Weber – and calling it a “Genuine” Weber. They reason that if Magneti Marelli owns the Solex factory then it can legally be called a “genuine” Weber. We will leave it up to the reader to decide for themselves whether they believe this is what a person would believe to mean “Genuine” (legally it says so)"

So I am trying to make sure that what I have is in fact at least the same in appearance to a genuine Weber since apparently some carbeuraters have been rebranded? I am not trying to make accusations at all, just trying to clear this up. I seriously think if we can get to the bottom of this it will net you some sales in the end. I am researching this for a FAQ on a popular forum entitled "Best Place To Buy Weber Carbs Online". Someone said to be weary of Webers off ebay, which is undoubtedly to generalized of a statement, but the site I posted the link to is talking about you guys specifically selling Solex carbs as Weber... Just trying to figure it all out. Thanks again! Also if there is any kind of rebuttal you would like expressed in the FAQ regarding that Genuine Weber blog just let me know and I will post it up!

[email protected]:

I know its all very complicated but..We deal in a "global" economy so thing can be made anyplace. We have been "Weber of North America" for over 30 years. So our Weber product are Weber and yes the 40idfs are made in the USA. We sell true Weber carbs and give a 1 year warranty replace on all of our products regardless of where they are made. Hope this helps Thanks

Wait, so some of the Weber carbs you sell are made somewhere other than the U.S. and Spain? I am just confused about what you meant about the 40idfs being made in the USA. Maybe you just meant because the genuine weber link said otherwise about that specific model?

[email protected]:

I feel like Im in court..The IFDs are made in the USA..some others are made in Spain and others made in Argentina. If this is bothering you this much we suggest you purchase someplace else..thanks

This brings us up to date. I just got the most recent message where he suggests I shop somewhere else. I told him about my intentions to post up my findings.:shrug: Anyway at this point I feel that webercarbsdirect is misrepresenting their pruducts as being made in USA or Spain when in fact they are not. Look at how his story changed from all Weber carbs being made in the USA or Spain to "we live in a global economy"... This kind of business practice is shameful in my opinion.
    :brickknock:

13. bustedknuckles

bustedknuckles Enthusiast

Truck:
    1985 Toyota, 2000 S10 Xtreme
    WOW!!! I think maybe a lot of us should "purchase some place else"

Thanks for the write up Shadetree

14. project_DragTruck_v2.0

project_DragTruck_v2.0 Veteran

I know I'm going to now. There's no reason for the asshat comment about the representative feeling like he's "in court..".

15. kimsan808

kimsan808 Member

Truck:
    1986 reg cab 2000 honda RC51 1990 YJ Jeep
    I don't know if this helps but try http://www.racetep.com/weber.html. I found this to be informative. I don't buy anything from any business that treat potential customers like crap. In these economic times why would they chase away customers? I'd rather pay retail than buy cheap with no service

16. Shadetree Mechanic

Truck:
    I was very surprised to get that reply in my email. I thought I was very cordial with the guy, telling him numerous times that I was not trying to make accusations, but only to reach a better understanding. I also offered to post up his rebuttal to the accusations made about webercarbsdirect. I believe his overly defensive response is because they are in fact guilty of super shady business practices. Namely advertising their carbs as being manufactured in Spain and USA when in fact they are also manufactured in South America and potentially could "be made anyplace" as "we live in a global economy" as the webercarbsdirect guy pointed out. I personally feel this is a pretty serious false advertising issue. Saying a product is made somewhere when in fact it is not. To me there is a huge difference between my carb being made in Spain or South America. The whole thing pisses me off pretty good. This is the first attempt I have made at any kind of a response to this. I think basically the email conversation speaks for itself.:verdict_in:

I agree. Also as far as I can tell from my investigation into this, those are the carbs you want, the Weber/Redline ones.:waytogo:

17. yodta

yodta Newbie

Truck:
    1987 4wd Xtracab; Weber 32/36, Offy DP Intake, Jasper Motors 22R w/CompCams 252S, DT Tri-y Head
    ah man, I wish I'd seen this a few weeks ago. I just ordered the 38 DGES from webercarbsdirect. I, too, felt like I was bothering them with questions, but their spiel on authenticity kinda sold me. I guess I just wanted to believe it because it seemed like such a good deal. I feel now like it was just a bunch of used-car-salesman double-talk.

I have a 32/36 DGEV from Redline Weber that I bought several years ago, but after exhaust, intake & cam changes, I thought I'd give the 38 a try. swayed by a silly $150 price swing. not feeling too confident in the 38 I received. the body does say Made in Spain, and the top plate has the Weber emblem stamped, but the carb body has the Weber North America sticker, but no Weber branded casting or anything like that. the body looks kinda cheap, actually. in fact, the more I examine it... I'm pretty sure it's just made of chocolate.

one of the other things that bothers me is that the fuel inlet is fixed; sort of a press fit. on my Redline 32/36, the fuel inlet pipe is threaded, and there's a plug on the other side so that you can feed fuel from either side. I called WCD, and the guy told me the 38 doesn't have the threaded inlet option. thinking back, it was probably a load of BS.

I've not installed it yet, so some possible fuel for this little fire, I'll let you know how they handle returns :) I'm betting they give me the run around or try to charge me a restocking fee. just a feeling.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  18. cgeorge

cgeorge Newbie

older thread but I thought I would comment and ask a few questions.

I've been looking at a Weber for my 22R. I'm considering the 32/36 since I'm still stock and don't have the funds for much anything else.

Do these kits come complete with everything? I've read from others that they have fabricated EGR plates once they remove most of the equipment that isn't necessary.

I'm really looking to simplify my truck (even more than it is already) and the stock carb has issues because the PO did a poor rebuild.

thanks

19. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    depending on where you live and the emissions requirements for that area, you may need some of that "crap".

redline weber does make a 32/36 that is cali smog approved. it removes most of the useless crap, and the rest of the crap has a place to go.

either way, when you buy a kit it will come with the 2 piece adapter plate and year specific throttle linkage stuff with some extra's for the odd balls out there.

after installing 10 kits on peoples cars, the only things it doesnt come with are:

vac lines: the stuff on your truck usually isnt long enuff to connect to the new fitting locations.

return spring: bout 90% of the time the spring built into the carb isnt strong enuff, so ive had to add a secondary spring.

only other bit of advice is:

usually the 2 piece adapter plate isnt perfectly flat, and needs just a kiss from a flat stone. i usually take the carb and adapter plates to the machine shop and have em just barely kiss them to make em flat just in case before i install. i pay $40 for the service may cost different elsewhere.

20. cgeorge

cgeorge Newbie

ShoNuff - thanks for the reply. It sounds like you've got some good experience with these carbs. Were were they purchased? I can't find a local or even semi-local reseller that deals with the RedLine kits.

thanks again.