small block??

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by dirty, Apr 29, 2009.

1. dirty

dirty Member

anybody know anything about putting a chevy small block in between yota frame rails?? special motor mounts? special headers? anything you know id like for you to share with me

thanks

2. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    i was going to run a small block. i planned on using a set of shorty headers since the fit is pretty tight. but the 4x4 guys seem to do it all the time. you can buy the kits to basically bolt it in. just google. small block chevy conversion for toyota, or something to that effect.

3. Collins94

Collins94 Addict

Truck:
    94 single cab hilux
    i was talkin to guys at work and they are big hot rodders and they said a ford motor would maybe fit better because the location of the distributor

4. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    ^^^^ wouldn't leak as much oil either. :D

5. dirty

dirty Member

well what im plottin on is possibly using the yota suspension clip to put under another truck.
    im not sure if im gonna use the chevy sb or a ford sb. i have a 350 motor that needs rebuilt but i also have a c4 tranny to go on a 302. so im not sure which way im gonna go on that. plus ill end up making custom motor mounts since the yota motor was taken out with a torch.

so im just trying to get info on doing the swap with either motor and which parts are needed

6. CajunTaco

CajunTaco Enthusiast

Truck:
    92 Reg Cab
    I've got my bellhousing to bolt a 350 into my toy. I'm going to do my own motor mounts and stuff as I'm Baggin/Body dropn it. Now just need a 350.

7. HaNd_SoLo

HaNd_SoLo Enthusiast

Truck:
    1987 xtra cab long bed
    I've never seen one in a 2wd. My cousin has one in a 4wd. Most of the conversion motor mounts sit the motor pretty high. They bolt to the stock frame mounting points and use car small block mounts because they're lower profile. This setup requires a body lift, though. Depending on the pan/crossmember clearance it may be possible to sit it lower. If you get rid of the clutch fan and run electric, there is plenty of room to sit the engine far enough forward to clear the distributor.

8. suncomb1

suncomb1 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 Toyota SR54x4 Mojave Edition-Black Package Shortbed Sport Truck
    Contact Downey Off-Road. They have the parts you will need and the experience to guide you through it, whether it is 2 or 4 wheeled drive.

9. Blacklightnin55

Blacklightnin55 Member

Truck:
    1990 Ext-cab
    Adding a small block chevy to your yota isn't as hard as you would think. Adding a small block ford would take a little work. The chevy has the oil pump in the rear of the oil pan much like the original toyo engine. I was going to put one in my truck but listening to folks on the internet (saying you have to add lift kit etc.) I decided to go with a 7MGTE. I have since met a guy who live not far from me and he put one into a 1988 toyo with no problem and no lift kit. he did how ever make his own motor and transmission mounts to have the engine sit lower in the truck. He races this truck all the time and has no problems with it. Using a Ford the oil pan would have to be highly modified because the oil pump is in the front of the engine and this would hit your draglink. Even with putting the 7MGTE into my truck I had to notch my oil pan to clear the draglink.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  10. dirty

dirty Member

thats what the plan is wit this. put the clip under a ranger then build a new frame for a sfbd

i must have to call them or something. there is hardly anything on their site about the swap. or if its there i havent found it.