Differential swap

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Perkolator, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I'm kinda sure this will work but want to confirm before I open things up and drain my gear oil. I was cleaning up in my garage this weekend and saw my old 4.10 diff sitting there on a shelf. It's from my 93 4wd pickup. Hoping I can swap it in place of my 75 pickups 4.37 diff so I can drop my RPMs a little bit.

I know the housing will physically bolt up, but was unsure of 2wd vs 4wd axles sliding into the differential carrier. I haven't looked up specs of axle spline counts etc yet, unfortunately everyone's lists start with the 79 pickups.

So...Will it work?

2. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Ok even though all the Toyota info I've found regarding axle spline counts starts with the 79 and newer trucks, I'm fairly certain the older 8" diff is still going to be a 30-spline axle inside, so should be good to go on this swap :clapping:

3. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    As far as I know it will work. If not atleast you already have it..

Don't know if youre trying for MPG's or just a little lower rpms, but I have a 3.07 diff I have no use for.

4. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    You have an 8" rear in your truck?

5. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Yes I believe so. Truck plate says W50 trans G105 differential which is 8" 4.37 gears if I read all the axle decode charts correctly. I know people swap diffs all the time but not much info I've found for older Hilux trucks. I just fingered through the Toyota FSM that I bought last week and even in there it doesn't say the axle spline count.

6. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Yeah, I can't confirm, but i doubt toyota would have changed the spline count...

7. Bronchogg

Bronchogg Member

Truck:
    71 Hilux
    I know for a fact (I took it apart to mount an MKIII Supra LSD in it) that my 71 is a G-code and has 30 splines.

nnywg likes this.
  8. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Yeah, everything I see shows Toyota started out with a beefier setup then someone must have been like "hey, our product is doesn't break enough and we're spending extra $ in producing this truck, so lets tone things down a bit" hehe

I still need to swap out my diff for a lower gear ratio, don't think I'll be using my 4.10 diff after taking the truck on the highway for the first time ever 2 weeks ago. She was definitely up there in the RPMs at cruising speed, sounded above 3500rpm to me, but still had plenty of get up and go from there. I will note my exhaust is stupid loud at an indicated 65-70mph cruising speed and definitely needs to be knocked down with something else. Need to take care of that and get a tach, add it to my ever growing list!

9. Bronchogg

Bronchogg Member

Truck:
    71 Hilux
    I know I've read it somewhere but can't remember when Toyota decided to ditch the G-code (8") for the F-code (7.5"). I think it was late 70's. Seems a little strange considering they are so similar and even more strange that they went back to them in later years.

The G-code is a beefy axle for sure - especially in the small and light 1st and 2nd gens.

I need to swap my gears as well. The 4 speed tops out at about 50mph thanks to my smaller tires.

10. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Yeah, I'm planning to run smaller tires later too, hence the need for a gear swap. What are you going to use?

11. Bronchogg

Bronchogg Member

Truck:
    71 Hilux
    I've got 4.10s now. If I end up doing a swap, I don't want to be geared too tall so probably. 3.90 or 3.73.

12. nnywg

nnywg Member

Bronchogg, I'm a recent early '72 owner - did you have a code somewhere that gives your ratio, or only knew from opening it up? Seems like the door plate and engine plate on mine give no info related to the trans or diff. At least the trans info is known but I've read a lot of conflicting info on diffs here this eve doing research. Thanks

13. Sk1dmark

Sk1dmark Enthusiast

Truck:
    1977 Toyota Pickup, (SOLD) 1974 Hilux
    Do you have a picture of the engine plate? I've only ever seen the second gen plates but part of the trans code for me was my axle code.

14. nnywg

nnywg Member

Not handy. Engine bay plate just gives a VIN and year of manufacture, door one is the same but adds GVWR info.

There's a sticker on the 18RC but it's worn and hard to read. I think the info may be there but can't read it anymore.

On that topic I thought I read somewhere that these trucks were ~2300lbs but can't find that source anymore; might've made it up.

15. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    If you still have the 18rc then most likely everything else is stock - at least I would assume this. If so then you would have the 4spd manual -- L40 1st gen Hilux <1972 or the L42 2nd gen Hilux >1972 and I believe it had 4.10 gearing as well.
    (http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/manual_transmission_overhaul_kits/toyota_l_series_overhaul_kit.html)

I could be wrong but I think they had 8" 4.10 gearing up until Toyota started using a 7.5" differential in the 2wd trucks.

Curb weight is around 2400lbs (http://www.toyota-global.com/compan...ars/vehicle_lineage/car/id60015479/index.html)

16. nnywg

nnywg Member

Oh yeah, the whole thing is stock except what's rusted away. I've read a few suggestions that it might be 4.375 so that's where my confusion is. Doesn't really matter, just trying to get educated.

17. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Check out this link. Itl help you find what you want to know

http://www.brian894x4.com/Gearratiosanddiffs.html