1uz swap in 1992 Toyota Pickup

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Jesse_Wraps, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Jesse_Wraps

Jesse_Wraps Newbie

What's up everyone. New to the forum but I'm hoping to get some advice.. I just picked up a 95 LS400.. it was totaled, motors still great. Figured I would rip the 22R out of my truck and swap it with the 1uz..

This is completely new to me, never done anything like this before. I have friends that can weld and are mechanically inclined, just need to know some of the important things like.

1. Can I use my stock 5 speed tranny with the 1uz if I get adapters? If so, what adapters do I need?
    2. I've been told I need to get a different exhaust manifold, not sure which one. Same thing as a radiator. I see a lot of pics of new aluminum radiators. Is this necessary or can I use the 1uz radiator?
    3. Besides making custom motor mounts, does everything fit, or are there other mods you need to do?
    4. As you can see in the photo, my trucks bagged.. will I have issues laying all the way out?
    5. Is the harness pretty much plug and play? Speedometer, tach, all that good stuff, does it all work?

Those are some basic questions I need answered for now, but I plan on taking tons of pics and sharing this experience with you guys! Thanks for your time!

Attached Files:

2. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    Im sure @yotarip will chime in soon. He is the one that has successfully swap a 1uz in his truck and can answer your questions. Sorry i really cant, im swapping a different motor. Good looking truck BTW

3. Jesse_Wraps

Jesse_Wraps Newbie

Thanks! Look forward to hearing from him.

4. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

1. Can I use my stock 5 speed tranny with the 1uz if I get adapters? If so, what adapters do I need?
    You can use your stock 5 speed with adapters from 1uzfeswapkit.com or xcessivemanufacturing.com
    2. I've been told I need to get a different exhaust manifold, not sure which one. Same thing as a radiator. I see a lot of pics of new aluminum radiators. Is this necessary or can I use the 1uz radiator?
    You will need exhaust manifolds from a sc400. The 1uz radiator is too tall and too wide. I used the radiator from a second gen mr2.
    3. Besides making custom motor mounts, does everything fit, or are there other mods you need to do?
    If your motor has a LS400 oilpan (front sump) you will have to extend the trans mount by 2 inches. If your motor has the sc400 sump (rear/mid sump), you will have to shorten the trans mount by 1/2 inch.
    4. As you can see in the photo, my trucks bagged.. will I have issues laying all the way out?
    Shouldn't be a problem.
    5. Is the harness pretty much plug and play? Speedometer, tach, all that good stuff, does it all work?
    LOL. Hell no the harness is not plug and play.The 1uz harness must be spliced into the truck harness. If your truck is already efi, the wiring is pretty simple. If your truck is carbed, it's much more complicated because none of the circuits that support efi are on the truck. I suggest you get the complete body harness from an efi 22re truck and swap it in your truck.

Mikerocosms likes this.
  5. Jesse_Wraps

Jesse_Wraps Newbie

Thank you so much for all the info! Luckily my truck is efi, so sounds like that will make it a little easier.. I really appreciate your time and I'll keep y'all posted!

6. Flipper_1938

Flipper_1938 Newbie

Is there a cheat sheet floating around that shows how many wires are involved in making the swap work?