Finally My 5vz swap On my yota

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Orlando Muniz, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    Hello Toyota Minis, it has been some time since i last been on here. I finally got a great deal on a donor car ( 96 T100 with 289k) and now ready to finally do my 5vz swap. I've been wanting to do this swap for about 10 years now, So i pretty much already got started on removing the motor from the donor truck today and so i am contemplating if i should rebuild the motor or not. I think im going to do a compression check to see if i need to. The motor is in great shape considering the mileage or even if that is the original motor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So Here are my plans ----
    Swap the 5vz
    Do Routine Maintenance such as gaskets and timing belt
    LC Engineering S/C with 2.2 pulley
    URD 7th injector
    97 ECU to have the motor recognize the S/C
    CAI
    Mating the Motor behind the 5 speed manual( i have an auto)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So i have a couple of questions for you guys that already did the swap....

1) All i need is the engine harness? or do i need to snag the dash harness as well. I am gonna go with ORS to get the wiring harness.

2) Im about to get rid of the donor truck, Is there anything else i would need to grab from it that i might be forgetting.

What i got so far from the donor truck
    - Engine w\ Harness
    - Alt, Power steering w\hoses
    - Motor mounts
    - ECU
    - Starter
    _________

2. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    cool stuff man, if you need any of the EWD's let me know....

3. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    thanks man i appreciate it, but i have the EWD as well. i made sure snag it before they took the website down.

4. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    So i am finally getting into taking apart my truck now, got a lil done today. This weekend im looking to take the engine and tranny out so i can sell it with the t100 to the junk yard. They are going to be giving me 325 for everything, I think that a good deal considering that i only paid 800 for the truck initially, Although i know they will sell at least one of the trannys for that price. I just really want the truck out of my garage for i can clean up the garage, park the wifes car in the garage and start to rebuild the motor or at least just clean it up and start to paint as well as dress it up. Whelp here are the pics of todays adventure. Man its so much easier to disassembly once you have done one already. I disconnect practically everything in few short hours. The next step is just to unbolt the motor mounts as well as tranny, then pull her out.

Do you guys think 325 is too low of a price to get rid of the truck??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ryno5150 likes this.
  5. Silver Bomber

Silver Bomber Newbie

Truck:
    1992 toyota pickup
    Cant wait to see this thing done keep us updated.

6. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    yea me too, im very curious to see how tight of a fit that its going to be and how fast. Ive been waiting a long to do this and want to do it the right way.

7. Silver Bomber

Silver Bomber Newbie

Truck:
    1992 toyota pickup
    it should be decently fast and it will sound amazing. My 04 tacoma has plenty of power evan with my e rated true 32 inch tires.

8. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    So yesterday i was able to get out the original engine out of the yota. I must say once you pull one motor out, getting the other motor out is rather faster and easier. With that being said i will now move on to cleaning the engine bay up and now look to the 5vz and doing the regular Maintenance such as timing belt and a few others. I also need to do compression test on the motor to see if it can handle the S/C.

Its crazy to think that this is the original motor that was in the truck has been with me since i've been a baby. Sniif sniff good bye 3vz....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    so the junkyard took the donor truck and gave me 245 for it....I think I came out good on the deal. I spent 800 on the truck, they got a seized motor and two auto trannys with a smashed up body. I know I could have gotten more but I just wanted the thing out of my garage..

10. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    So just did the compression test on 2 cylinders and I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or if it's the tester that I'm using. I'm reading like 60 psi and did about 12 revolution and that's about how high it goes. When the 5vz was running man that thing was smooth so I doubt the compression test is right. Any suggestions????

11. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    So i finally got around to cleaning the engine bay, also took somethings out that i want to have powder coated. Also working on fixing my BIG brake upgrade and looking to get the calipers powder coated as well. Does anyone know where i could get the rebuild kit for the 4wd calipers??
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are a couple of things im looking to get powder coated, which are the rotor hats, Charcoal Canister, Wiper arms, Wiper motor casing.
    [​IMG]

Now im about to order the timing belt, water pump, fan bracket, valve cover gaskets, Also plan on getting the valve covers powder coated as well.

12. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    Update-

I finally got around to painting the engine bay and tried instead of powder coating to try and polish some things. i first started with the wiper motor(pics will soon follow) I liked the way it look, so then i moved onto the Charcoal Canister. That one took a lot longer than expected since Toyota does a pretty damn good job of cooking their paint on it. Im slowly getting the engine bay to look a lot cleaner than before. As for the engine, i will be ordering the Timing belt package with all the gasket goodies. I will also be polishing the Valve cover to a mirror finish, hopefully they will turn out as good as i hope them to be.

So i've been in the market for a fully loaded 4runner to where i can swap the power window motors, power locks, Tilt Steering and grabbing the seats, door panels, center console. I finally found a cheap 4runner on my local craigslist here in Austin going for 200 bucks! Its been sitting for quite some time and the "owner" just wants to get rid of it. But here is the kicker.....The "owner" doesnt have the title or the key, which to me is a lil alarming to me at least. i offered him 150 for the parts i wanted or if he finds the key i will gladly take the whole vehicle for 180.

So my question is should i be a lil worried that he doesnt have the title nor the key to the vehicle???

Oh btw here are some of the pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Ryno5150

Ryno5150 Member

Truck:
    89 2WD reg cab, 85 4Runner
    SC 5VZ + 5 speed. I'm definitely liking the sound of that

14. Ryno5150

Ryno5150 Member

Truck:
    You should be able to get OEM Toyota stuff on any parts website for the calipers. Also Rockauto if you want cheapest prices for non oem

15. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    Yea thats where i plan to go or the Toyota dealership. I still get a discount there well some what of a discount.

Welp yesterday i bought the 91 Toyota 4runner for only 125. It had been sitting in the same spot for about 7 years, the engine, tranny and the Xfer case is good. It only took me about yesterday afternoon to rip out everything that i needed. The only thing i have left now is is figuring out which wires runs the power doors,locks and mirrors. Also if anyone is needing any parts from a 4runner please let me know. Pics soon to come.

16. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    Here are some of the Pics of the 4runner
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jblaust and Ryno5150 like this.
  17. Ryno5150

Ryno5150 Member

Truck:
    That 4Runner wouldn't happen to be a 5 speed, would it?

18. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    Unfortunately no, I wish it was and that would mean I wouldn't have to buy a 5spd tranny. Right now I'm currently ripping apart the harness to get access to the power controls....man this thing is a pain in the ass....

19. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    So all last week I've been working my butt off taking parts off the 91 4 runner, I managed to take all the front interior apart with the power mirrors, Locks, and Window harness. At first it was real confusing on which wires to take, i didn't want to cut anything that i needed. This weekend i was able to install the wiring harness and tap that in my Trucks harness. There were a few hiccups and still is but everything is now successfully powered and working. I just need to get a new mirror switch. I was able to swap the seats as well and of course half the bolts dont line up correctly!!! I could have sworn that these seat can swap over directly, but apparently not. I was also able to swap over the Tilt steering wheel as well. That swap was pretty easy and everything bolted in as it should.

I was also able to grab the Speedo w/ Tach from the 4 runner and reset the mileage. Grabbed the center console too and also was thinking about taking the rear heater as well, but i think it would be too much work and it doesn't get that cold here in Texas. And the last thing i took from the vehicle as well was the Front brake calipers, so i could start on polishing them and not have to take the calipers off of my yota just yet.

Well here are some of the pics i promised.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interior Pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pics of the 4runner
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    90 standard cab 2wd short bed
    With the truck being black that brown interior is looking good!