Low power acceleration please help

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by jess cairns, Sep 27, 2016.

1. jess cairns

jess cairns Newbie

1994 2.4l pickup/hilux all standard options manual
    250kmiles
    My issues is acceleration is Honorable off the start (low rpm) it seems to acc fine if you push petal just a little, if you push hard just bogs. if you get up in rpms it does seem not to have to much lag but definitely not running right. always kills at a light as you roll up unless on the gas.. Cold start ups it will idle somewhat...

Repairs to try to fix issue (100miles or less):
    new fuel pump in tank sock too
    fuel filter
    all new injectors
    new mass air flow sensor
    new spark plugs
    distributor & rotor
    I have sprayed brake cleaner on all hoses and doesn't seem to have an air leak
    Also had and exhaust guy tell me he didn't think it was the catalytic converter it is only 3 years oil exhaust is in ok shape...
    Did compression check all 4 holes 135psi
    also I run mobile 1 always and change regularly

older repairs:
    new clutch
    flywheel
    brakes and rotors

Please help me out can't seem to fix the issue? Tomorrow I am going to buy a new ignition coil, but at this point I am $800 in and have not fixed and want to sell this truck for 2-3k if possible so I am just pissing money away at this point.. This has been my truck for 10 years with no issues this bad...

Thanks
    Jess
    813 363 9074
    [email protected]

FYI i will paypal $50 to the first guy with the right fix!!!

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Check for vaccum leaks

3. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    Im with jetas, possible vacuum leak, did you also spray the under side of the intake?? If not my second guess is that your timing guides have broken and your off time. Have they ever been replaced in this truck??

4. jess cairns

jess cairns Newbie

Timing guides don't even know where they are.. That seems very likely.. I started one day and this is how it has been sense..

5. jess cairns

jess cairns Newbie

I tryed and tryed to see for vacuum leaks I would say 95% not the issues

6. jess cairns

jess cairns Newbie

So are you saying the timing chain skipped one tooth... Can I advance the timing to see if it comes back to life...

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Try the smoke trick?

8. jess cairns

jess cairns Newbie

Don't have a smoker but cigar may work too.. I really think this skip one tooth on timing chain maybe the issue.. I am going to advance the timing tomorrow to see if it gets any better.. But tell me if I am right if it skipped one the timing lines aren't right anymore right.. Just go off sound and how it runs at that point.. Because I am just trying to sell this thing don't need to get into a 1k repair to change chain an guides..

9. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    Yes, loosen that one bolt on the distributor. Move it back and forth and just see what it dose. All it will do is kill the motor once you have gone to far. I've seen chains guides fail
    And skip 2 teeth before.
    This is kinda a half ass method but it will give you a give you a ball park idea.
    Again Vacuum leak based off symtoms is still very high on the list.
    Try buying a few cans of the cheap carb cleaner for your local parts store. Rev engine to about 1k and just spray the stuff every where! Under the intake as theirs a few hoses you can't see and also the back side of the engine and just listen for the abnormalities in the engine running

10. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    not sure what you mean by timing lines.... are you talking about the line to the crank on pulley???

11. jess cairns

jess cairns Newbie

Yes the timing lines on the crank pully

12. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    You could have skipped timing and those lines will still be perfect... a bit deceiving I know.

13. jess cairns

jess cairns Newbie

Winner winner.. I moved distributor and has full power.. Timing gun says different so you are dead on.. Let me know if you want $50...

Lowtide671 likes this.
  14. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    i would still check the timing guides, it's fairly simple to do. take off valve cover and look down timing cover with a flashlight. it'll still run but there's a fairly distinct rattle sound the engine makes too, especially at low rpms like when you first start it up or when you start to accelerate. if you timing went off all of a sudden i would be suspicious of the cause. at 250k if it's the original timing set it's very possible.

some trucks make it further on the original set, some less. my 1993 went around 180k before it broke the guides on me while i was doing donuts in the mud. my dad's 1986 pickup went 350k on just oil changes and one clutch replacement, original timing set...then he bought a new truck and a week later the Toyota got jealous and left him stranded with a rod blown out the side of the block. my uncle still drives that truck 17 years later (after an engine swap of course)

good luck with the sale, i'd at least let the new owner know about this recent hiccup.

jblaust likes this.
  15. jess cairns

jess cairns Newbie

It sounds great no extra noises.. Valves aways tap a bit had them adjusted twice over the years..

16. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    cool man glad you fixed it. $50 bucks would be nice but as a TOYOTA minis community member that's not what it about! I retired from TOYOTA 3years ago Just glad that I could help.
    Rebuilding the engine is fairly low cost however that's contingent you are doing the labor your self. Hopefully you get many more years of use out of your pickup!

17. jess cairns

jess cairns Newbie

I got ten years out of it but moving out of state and need more power so I picked up a 05 Tundra v8 crew cab 2wd.. 160k miles for $6500 looks nice with the tdr 20" chrome rims and all southern truck no rust at all...

18. jess cairns

jess cairns Newbie

Trying to get $2800 for my hilux... Ugly but clean mechanically other then the timing guides that is...

19. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    That's reasonable. Post to your local Craig's list and offer up and I'm sure you will have it sold in no time at all.

20. jess cairns

jess cairns Newbie

Already done.. Hopefully it sells fast..