I've got a V8 92'. Who's got a front suspension setup that is awesome?

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Erik Beeman, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Erik Beeman

Erik Beeman Member

Truck:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    I've got a 92' with a built Ford V8. Specs on the motor don't matter unless you care. Rear end is a 3.73ls w/ disk brake conversion with drop kit and Nitro 2 shocks, springs to match. What I'm curious about is what anyone has done/can suggest for a sturdy, nice front suspension. Anyone do a coilover install? What's the best you guys have? I'm not a fan of the stock front suspension as it can't hold the weight of the V8.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    1-ton parts :)

3. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    I see you are in Concord Ca., how the hell are you going to smog that truck with that engine change??
    Nice truck & engine !!
    I don't know what the stock suspension is on the later Toyota's , but would think good quality coil overs would be the way to go!

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Same as the 84-88.

5. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    yep, same as 84-88 IFS with torsion bars. there are some aftermarket beefier t-bars out there, but not cheap.

have you tried reindexing your t-bars to keep your height but change the load settings and help hold up that v8? pretty sure you can do that on these trucks, right?

x2 on "how are you going to do SMOG on that car in CA?"
    I always thought in order to make smog ref happy with an engine sway, you can't install something that will get worse emissions than the original truck's engine options - so basically have to install a newer more efficient engine (and then you have to now meet the emissions of THAT donor vehicle). The only workaround I knew of is to get it registered as a home-built/kit car, and there are limited permits per year from the DMV for these.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  6. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Yes if the same as the earlier that would be what to do, turn them up!!
    I'm all air ride & a slammed truck, though you can ditch the rear leafs, go 4 link & coil overs there also will make handle much better!

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Plenty of ppl doing crooked smog out there. Just have to know a guy. Unless dude lives in one of the few counties that dont smog in CA

8. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    well i suppose knowing a guy could work if hes the same guy you see every other year.

wish i knew a smog guy - i just had to get a new $300 CAT on my corolla so I could get a clean smog in order to just sell the damn car. All because the smog tech decided to actually do his job this time and look up the EO number stamped on it. Had it installed in 2008 right before the laws changed I guess, then I lost my receipt sometime since then. Had 4 registration smog checks since 08, one of which was the STAR certified smog test, which I always thought was the most strict and even they didn't catch it. Based on what both the exhaust shop and the smog shop told me, I'd likely have had to replace it even if I could show a receipt. Even lost my buyer after this ordeal - he was gonna buy before xmas and I went to get it smogged, then it failed and I had to wait until after the new year to get it all sorted out, now I've gotta deal with CL people again....

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    That sucks!! I wouldve just discounted the priceand just sold the damn thing lol

10. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Around the Bay Area things are very tight, a smog shop has a $100,000 plus in a Dyno & other test equipment, if caught doing wrong the fine alone is that & you lose your lic. & all equipment!!

11. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    A lot of ppl here go down to LA and pay like 300-400 for a crooked smog

12. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    If I owned a smog shop I wouldn't risk it.

legally it's the sellers responsibility to provide a current SMOG certificate. some buyers may fall for the price drop and figure it out on their own, but my buyer was a neighbor's friend who's 18-19yrs old who is not mechanically inclined. He was all for waiting for me to resolve the smog, then a relative gave him their Civic for xmas. Surprisingly zero interest in a one-owner Corolla priced down to $2k with all the salvaged and body damaged cars; some are priced up to $4500! Thinking it's because I've got 200k and nobody knows how to drive stick anymore, or it makes more sense for them to buy a brand new Kia/Hyundai with a warranty.

13. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Ah i see what youre saying. I wouldnt put my neighbors buddy thru the hassle either

14. toy_spd

toy_spd Addict

Truck:
    92 SR5 V6 Extra Cab
    QA1 Coil over conversion with 650lbs springs will work good. and if you think the 650 are soft, order them in 750 etc, they have all the options available.

15. silverblazer50

silverblazer50 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1994 reg cab
  16. Erik Beeman

Erik Beeman Member

Truck:
    1992 Toyota Pickup

Let's just say I know a guy out around your neck of the woods that I pay $400 bucks to and wait a few weeks for a phone call when "its passed". Voila, problem solved. Been doing it for 4 years now:runaway:

Have you ever seen or had experience with bigger/better torsions? I'm not a fan not only because they can't hold the extra weight (stock torsions), but that they aren't really adjustable in height (without losing torsion ratings). Can you give me any links to the aftermarket ones, I'd like to at least look into them.

Around here in order to get BAR, you would have to swap in a motor of the same year or newer, in this case 1992 or newer. It has to be a motor with the same cylinder quantity, meaning 4cyl. And that motor would have to conform to all of IT'S original smog numbers, and it would have to contain all of the original smog equipment and exhaust from that donor car. Then you get on a list to be checked, argue with a ref, pay your fee's, and hope they approve it.

Or you find "a guy" that wants to make a few extra bucks and doesn't inspect your truck at all when it comes to smog. That's the route I take. LOL

I did a quick Google search on these. I didn't see anything that was for the Toyota.

What made you suggest these? Have you or anyone you know installed these on a pickup? The Toyota doesn't use springs, so I can only imagine fabrication involved.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  17. Erik Beeman

Erik Beeman Member

Truck:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Someone mentioned 1 ton parts, or 4wd parts. Can you explain what the benefits of these would be, as I would assume they are factory and still hold me back from adjustability. With the amount of money I have into this truck you'd think I would have a badass suspension by now...but I don't :(

Anyone have good info on a coilover swap/install? I'm pretty bad and lazy at searching forums, I never have the patience to filter through all the crap.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  18. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    1-Ton Toyota pickups/motorhomes/dually pickups came with a thicker front sway bar, a rear sway bar, thicker (stiffer) torsion bars and beefier brakes...

If you can find one parting out on CL or one happens to show up @ pick n pull, jump on it:)

19. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    4wd stuff won't work...

20. Erik Beeman

Erik Beeman Member

Truck:
    1992 Toyota Pickup

For the rear I'm using the Mercury Mountaineer sway since I've got the 8.8 back there, the front I do run a stock sway but if there is any variation with the 1-ton sway I might lose out since it's such a tight squeeze with the V8 to begin with. The stock front sway sits in a small gap between the bell housing and the rear of the oil pan.

The torsion bars however are something to think about