1UZ 1990

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by 90DailyDriven, Mar 2, 2015.

1. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    90 standard cab 2wd short bed
    Finally going to start a build/progress thread. Purchased a complete 93 ls400 a while back knowing i was going to do a 1UZ swap in my truck.
    Truck currently has 168,000 miles. LS400 had 180,000 miles when the car was parked. Who puts in an engine with more miles? because 1UZ!

Pictures are going to be in order of completion or purchase.
    Lowering blocks and bj flip. New OEM valance to replace damaged one.

Then new rims. Got these for free from my dad when i visited him in Cali so i had to put them on.
    [​IMG]

I didnt like the offset so i searched for some starions. No pictures of them on the truck. I ended up using 16x9 rears and 16x8 fronts.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Putting in interim wipers and clock. I dont know how i went so long without them.
    [​IMG]

Tacoma/Tundra bed rail kit. I had 2 of these for a couple of years. Installed 1 on my old truck and had this 1 left over.
    [​IMG]

Adapter kit w58 to 1UZ
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Supra w58
    [​IMG]

Checking bolt clearance for 1uz bellhousing. Had to grind bellhousing a bit so it would fit flush. Not bolted up yet here. Have pictures of where had to cut it a bit but cant find them at the moment.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dirty 1UZ
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Engine out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wiring completed 02/28/2015. This is a temporary setup connectors are extras i cut off a 98 LS400 at the junkyard. CEL, starter, fuel pump, and main efi relay are all working off of this.
    [​IMG]

Engine is currently under a tarp in peices. Using all OEM gaskets and seals. Ls400 is about to get hauled off to the scrapyard. Truck is still together and i drive it to work everyday. This truck will continue to be my daily after the swap.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Litneon likes this.
  2. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    1994 Standard cab 22re 5 spd
    Very cool, this is what I like, the research and engineering to make things work with each other...cant wait to see more progress.

3. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    Crazy thing is that I purchased the adapter kit before I got the lexus. I then placed the kit in front of my desk at work so I could see it everyday and motivate me to do something with it. Working with Toyota techs all day has helped me so much in knowing what will work and what won't. Everyone I talk to thinks I'm crazy for putting a "car v8" in my small 2wd, single cab truck.
    A toyota master tech will be the one that puts my engine back together. The same one that rebuilt the transmission.
    Currently looking for the sc400 rear sump setup and sc400 exhaust manifolds.

4. stabdd

stabdd Member

Truck:
    2004 Hilux, Single cab Long bed 3RZ-FE (taco)

Not crazy mate, not even close in my book! Should have some nice grunt when ya done!! good to see a new heart go in the old girl!! keep it up mate!:headbang:

5. Lil_Lola

Lil_Lola Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 single cab
    Looks good I wanna see pics of stations on truck!!! Haha

6. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  7. Turbo Blow Through

Turbo Blow Through Addict

Truck:
    87 hilux
    Nice job I too am in the process of doing this exact same thing keep us posted on your work including fab work

8. Lil_Lola

Lil_Lola Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 single cab
    Ahhh looks good my man love starions :love:

9. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Awesome work so far. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

10. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    Thanks for all the feedback. I plan on taking off the current starions and mounting an extra set of starions to clean and give these a good polish for the summer.

1UZ ecu are known for bad leaking capacitors so I recommend replacing them before anything else. I did this the 1st week I got the car. Also fixed the flickering dash but that's all gone now.
    pictures of the leaking capacitors. You can't see it here where they were leaking but as soon as you solder them off you will see a black/brown mushy substance
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    Have been back and forth from my house to the nearest junkyard, only 5 minutes away, and have been cutting connectors to replace my broken ones. Pretty much all my injectors had broken connectors. The new mexico heat is no joke.
    Also found some 4runner mirrors and fenders.

Keep it how it is or paint the intake manifold plenum and valve covers?
    [​IMG]

I also found this after i cleaned and degreased most of the engine. I know this is a coolant block off plate known to leak on most 1UZ. I have never seen one this corroded around the plate though.
    [​IMG]

12. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Yeah no kidding. I've been saying that for years.

Paint them silver will make them easier to clean in the long run. Plus it'll look brand new. Use automotive paint not spray can. Or if you must use spray can, use spray can clear on top as well.

13. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    Thanks for the tip Mike. I wont be using regular spray can paint. Ive seen that just peel off.
    Do you mean engine enamel?

14. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    I meant automotive paint (like whats on the outside of cars/trucks).

That plenum won't be getting hot enough for high heat paints so don't bother getting anything like that.

Make sure you spray it with a self-etching primer just as sealer, then spray your color then finish it off with clear.

15. justaguy

justaguy Member

Truck:
    75 hilux, 84 xtra cab, 86 1 ton, 87 xtra cab 4x4
    Looks like its getting a bit thin, you should think about a coat of JB on there to build it back up.

16. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Or a permanent fix, get a plate welded on :waytogo:

17. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    Talked to a couple of techs on this situation. First without the picture and then with. They all had pretty much the same answers/options for me.

Without picture: "Yeah just FIPG. that **** seals anything. Especially those plates."

With picture: They all had this facial expression like they couldn't believe it. :doah: 2 said wire brush to knock most of it off and see how far it goes. If it is bad then do not use that block. If it is just on the surface then build it back up with something like JB Weld.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  18. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    Wiring

Have been redoing all the wiring on the 1UZ.
    Sorted out the Alternator wiring first. Dont have a picture of that but following the wiring diagrams its pretty straight forward but i dont know how it will fit in the truck yet. Im doing all of this while i still drive the truck.
    Everything is going to run through the glove box for both easy access and to hide the ECUs. Im working on hiding all the relays in a box inside the glove box.

First 2 ideas went down the drain. Both from old control modules from the LS400. Left was small for what im trying to do. Would of been nice though. Right was nice because the face where the LEDs are mounted to is easily removable but also to small.

Ended up using the old air bag ECU. Just gutted it and started mounting the relays to it. Alot of space to route wiring and hide fuses. 8 screws in total to put it together.

19. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    Have been really busy with work, school, and preparing for the arrival of my second daughter. Any extra time I have is spent on this project even if it means being up at midnight to read :waytogo: Work schedule has also changed since we extended the hours at the dealership. So progress will be slow this month.

This thing will look like another ECU when done. How it looks like closed with not so many wires yet.

Mounted on a door hinge to "The wall" next to my real ECU to check wire lengths. Wire with masking tape isnt soldered in there yet. Just put it there so i would not forget about it.

Almost done. ECU should work at this point, have not connected it to a battery since i let someone borrow my 710 :doah:. Wires are held together with electrical tape to keep it orgaized untill i am done. Will run wire loom on them later.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  20. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    Sent the engine off this morning to get some work done on it.
    [​IMG]

Found a good use for the engine hoist. Ants have been getting in my dog's food so i have to keep it in the air where they cant get it.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    Ryno5150 likes this.